Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost internet connectivity as a result of XP 2012 SECURITY PROTECTION

• Please log in to reply

KDHoost

KDHoost

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,

My computer was recently infected by the XP Security 2012 virus. In order to remove it, I followed the instructions given on bleepingcomputer, which involved utilizing RKill and then Malwarebytes. After all was said and done and the malware was gone, I discovered that I could not connect to the internet.

This is a problem that I have had before; previously I lost netbt.sys, which was quarantined during the system scan. I added that file back into my registry using the instructions I received last time. However, now I can connect to the internet, but once it's connected I'm unable to actually access any websites. Under my device manager, the TCP/IP Protocol Driver is not working, and I see error messages under Serial, Parport & NetBios over tcipip.

How would you recommend that I proceed?

Thank you

Edited by KDHoost, 29 November 2011 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go back to your old thread and post there. Have you tried a System Restore to a date when it worked?