Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XP installation disc problems

• Please log in to reply

StonePeter

StonePeter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an old Dell 700m laptop that I decided to use as a server. I decided to wipe the HD and reinstall. The DVD-ROM doesn't function and you can't install from an external drive so I used a program called Komku that copies Windows to a USB flash drive and then install Windows from that. Part way through the installation, I noticed it was installing Windows XP home. So I put the installation disc into another computer and sure enough it was a copy of XP Home. This was a brand new installation disc. Had never previously been unsealed. It came with the laptop direct from Austin TX. The installation disc was a Dell disc that said Microsoft XP Professional on the label. Then I came to problem 2. As the install continued it came to the point where I enter the product key on the side of the machine and it refused to accept the key. I then explored the installation disc on another computer and found a different product key in a .txt file called UNATTEND, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions. It's no use going to Dell. They wouldn't even help me when the laptop had major issues while still under warranty.

Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi StonePeter
Where in Austin TX did you obtain the disk from please a web link will do.
Unfortunately you may have been a victim of software piracy.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Dell is in Round Rock Tx, just north of Austin). Maybe that's what StonePeter meant?

StonePeter

StonePeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes the installation disc came direct from Dell with the laptop. I had never done a reinstall up to now and it was still sealed in the envelope and shrinkwrapped. Obviously I should talk to Dell, but the computers I purchased from them have had multiple issues and Dell always denies any responsibility.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thank you Ztruker and StonePeter for clearing that up :thumbsup:
Couple of questions StonePeter, how long ago was the disk purchased and has the laptop ever had the motherboard or hard drive replaced, possibly under warranty.

StonePeter

StonePeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks guys

The laptop and reinstallation disk are from 2005 when I received them together direct from Dell. I have never reinstalled Windows on this machine. All hardware is original. The reinstallation CD was still sealed until I opened it to reinstall. I guess I throw the laptop away or try and install linux on it. It's not worth much but we are doing some development and it would have been useful as a server.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks guys

The laptop and reinstallation disk are from 2005 when I received them together direct from Dell. I have never reinstalled Windows on this machine. All hardware is original. The reinstallation CD was still sealed until I opened it to reinstall. I guess I throw the laptop away or try and install linux on it. It's not worth much but we are doing some development and it would have been useful as a server.

StonePeter, you have told us that you have a legitimate Windows disk and I cannot for one second think of a reason why Microsoft will not offer you support for their product so please contact them for guidance, we will be here to assist you if and when you come back to us :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't think MS will help with this one. It's a Dell screw up and only Dell can fix it. I'd start with a Live Chat and see if you can get them to send you the right CD.

Do you have any friends who have a copy of XP Pro you could borrow? If so you could install with that and you're key should be good.

StonePeter

StonePeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help guys. I found another XP Pro disc and that installed OK and accepted the product key. I agree that this is Dell's problem. OEM software is usually supported by the distributor.

I had multiple problems with the 2 computers I purchased from Dell. I spent over $3,000 and experienced multiple problems. All the desktops drives (external and internal) had to be replaced plus the power supply. The laptop had multiple issues. I hadn't touched the laptop for 4 years I was so disgusted with it. I should list my experiences in a blog and promote it. Dell needs to start serving their customers.

Thank you all.

Peter

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad you got it sorted out.