Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply

Guilty Dad

Guilty Dad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

It seems that I have somehow contrived to delete my son's video game from our home computer without uninstalling it and now he can't reinstall. I've tried a few guides about manual uninstallation but none seemed to help. We are running Windows 7 and when the game CD is inserted, it still shows the options to "play" and "uninstall." I would like to fix this for him since I was the one who messed it up; do you think you can help me?

Thank you

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Guilty Dad and :welcome:

The name of the game might have been helpful for us!

I suspect the disk is looking at the hard drive and sees the install folder, or there is a file that runs when the computer starts and the disk is seeing that it is there and assumes all is good.

When you insert the CD, did you try the uninstall option? That would be my first suggestion. If that works, then you should be able to reinstall it. If that does not work, then you may need to manually delete the game from the Start menu's Startup folder, folders on the disk, and/or maybe even some Registry entries.

Note for security reasons, the children should have a separate computer from the parents - especially if the parent do any on-line shopping or banking or maintain any important work/school/personal business data on the system. And the kids computer(s) should be located in a central location (not the bedroom) where parent can see what they (and any visiting friends) are doing.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
If you can re-install the game, then re-install please then it will be easy to remove. If not,
Try Revo Uninstaller. A trial version will do. When you have completed, do the following:
  • Open Revo Uninstaller
  • You will see a option named "Hunter Mode" in the top pane. Click it and an blue crosshair icon will apear
  • I hope there is a shortcut of the game, take it in your desktop by using "Send to" optinos via Right-Click
  • Move the crossbow icon to the shortcut, uninstall windows will appear. Fill the required information
  • If there is no shortcut, then find any exe file that is related to shortcut or main parts of game. In this case, please put the game's real name in 'Exact Name' box
  • The program will search for left items and registry, delete all of them. (Caution: Don't directly delete any FOLDER of registry, delete only the bold/highlighted files of registry.

I hope REVO will surely help you. Thanks

Guilty Dad

Guilty Dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Digerati and Sadman1996,

The game is called "Baldur's Gate." The uninstall option did not work with the disk, but Revo Uninstaller seems to have done the trick. I'm going to give the machine a restart and see what happens when I try to install.

Don't worry - we do neither online shopping nor banking so the kids can't cause too much trouble with the one hour a day they're allowed to spend on either the computer or on the TV. Us fogies are giving them a reason to be angsty with our old-fashioned ways.

Thank you both very much for your assistance and I'll be sure to let you know what I mess up next with the re-install!

Guilty Dad

Guilty Dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, the kid reported that everything worked great. Thank you guys so much for saving my bacon on this one!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Great! I am glad Revo worked. And thanks for the followup.