Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Working Linksys router won't do setup screen

• Please log in to reply

billd27023

billd27023

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a working home network. Supports up to a dozen or so devices without andy problems depending on how many of the kids are here. PC's game systems, smart phones. All have working internet access. PC's have access to each other. All seems to be working fine. To give better wireless connectivity I have a secondary router set up on a second floor, non DHCP, to use as a wireless access point. This also has been working fine for a year or so. It started having trouble recently making and/or maintaining connections. So decided to have a look at the setups and see if something has changed or reverted to defaults.

Anyway - can't get into the main router. "Internet Explorer cannot display.....". Thought I might have the IP address wrong (my wife and I are both IT and she did the initial setup of the router), but an IP config confirms that it's still using the standard Linksys default. I'm leary of doing a reset to the router since it will wipe all security, and if I can't get into the setup screens.... But of course that's the next step if nobody has any other suggestions.

Bill

PS - the machine I'm attempting to connect to the router from is wired, not wireless, directly into the primary router, not the access point.

Advertisements