Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer only runs in safe mode - odd behavior and shuts down

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Unhide the Microsoft services and see how many it will let you uncheck.

Also try checking Diagnostic boot.

Also

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Type with an Enter after each line:

sigverif

Press Start in the new window and wait until it finishes. Then click on Advanced and View Log and save it to your desktop then attach it to the next reply.

Advertisements

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I booted into normal mode with "diagnostic mode enabled" and ran the sigverif scan and it shut down mid scan.

At this point would it be worth trying a repair install of windows?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Probably would not hurt.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
After a lot of trouble, I finally got my system loaded with a fresh install of windows (not an upgrade/repair). IT IS STILL CRASHING!!

It is however running a little more stable.

The only thing I have installed is ATI/AMD catalyst control center for my graphics card. After it crashed last, I disabled all the services and startup programs for that.

Currently I am running with half of my RAM pulled out (based on advice I got from the other forum before I started over here), and the ATI software disabled and so far I haven't gotten it to crash. FYI, it did crash once when I re-booted after disabling the ATI software which is why I started pulling RAM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
http://www.sevenforu...stics-tool.html

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have run the memory test tool a couple of times, but in every case. It re-boots to the log in screen. After that no log ever appears (as it said it would), how can I determine the results of the test?

Couple of questions:
If my issue is a hardware issue, why do things work in safe mode (ie RAM, hard drives, disk drives)? Are there other tests I can run. I have run chkdsk again and for the moment things are acting stable. I still have the ATI drivers disabled and I understand why that would be impacted by safe mode. But the other hardware?

I have tried removing my secondary hard drive and it still crashed
I have tried different configurations of RAM and it still crashed

I'm not sure how to test my primary hard drive other than doing a chkdsk, it found some errors and fixed them.

I'm going insane over here. :wacko:

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
this could be useful

crashed again, when I tried to open device manager in normal mode

Now I'm in safe mode, device manager
I have a
yellow! under other devices for
>Marvell 91xx config ATA device
>Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller

tried to find drivers with auto search and it could not find anything

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Most hard drive makers have a test program on their website that you can download. Depending on the size of the drive it can take up to 24 hours to run the extended test on the drive but if it passes that then I'd say it is good.

For your memory I'd try

http://www.memtest.org/

You can let their test cycle through over and over (overnight is a good idea)

If your event logs do not shut a BSOD then it is usually the hardware that are causing crashes.

Can you repost the speccy log from regular mode that you managed to get (minus the serial number)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I have the same board and the same problem on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I fixed the problem by installing the Marvell Console Driver (SATA3) update Gigabyte had listed under the GA-P55A-UD4P drivers page. Give that a shot! Might solve the problem. Good luck!

from http://www.tomshardw...x-config-device

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Here is the log before I re-installed windows.

Advertisements

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
File before windows re-install

Attached Files

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

If your event logs do not shut a BSOD then it is usually the hardware that are causing crashes.

Sorry I'm not sure what the means or how to check it. I'm getting the impression I do have a hardware issue but I'm having trouble figuring out what hardware it is.

I'm getting ready to run the mem checker you sent before.

I am get A LOT of this ERROR in the event log:

Service Control Manager: 7001
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I installed the gigibyte drivers listed above and the Marvell error went away, I also disabled the USB error because there are other USB services running already.

At last report, I can't even get normal mode to boot to the log in screen. It shuts off before I can log in.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
The dependency service or group failed to start errors aren't too hard to do but you have to be careful in safe Mode as there are a ton of services which won't start so you may be barking up the wrong tree. Right click on Computer and Select Manage then Services and Applications then Services. Find the service that won't start and right click and select Properties then Click on the Dependencies tab. Note which services or drivers it needs to work then make sure they are working.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then the Event Viewer. Next select Windows Logs. Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application. Reboot into regular mode and let it crash and then boot into Safe Mode.

2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run As Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ron

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
FYI on some other things I have tried, I also posted back on my original post in the windows 7 forum as an update.

Here is an UPDATE:

I think I'm starting to rule out the following:

Malware - after running a gambit of scans, we aren't finding much that indicates malware

RAM - I've run memtest86+ through several cycles with no failures. I've also run the computer with different configurations of ram pulling each unit out with no change to performance (still crashes)

Software/Drivers: I did a full clean install of Windows 7 to start over, the only drivers I installed were for my video card (catalyst control center), my motherboard gibabyte drivers for SATA3 and USB3 (these were installed AFTER system crashes because it was giving me error messages). The video drivers have been disabled using the startup/services but it had no effect.

Last night I ran SeaTools for DOS to scan my hard drives. I did get a "bad sector found" failure on my SSD drive during the 1st long scan. I re-ran the scan 4 more times and it passed with no errors.

**Primary SSD - I'm downloading Intel SSD Toolbox to see if I can get anything from the SMART scans (currently disabled on this drive).

Secondary hard drive - I've run the computer with this drive disconnected and it still crashes so I think I can rule that out.

** I leaning to this being a possible hard drive failure on my SSD drive but I'm not sure what else to try for results. As stated before I'm getting the Intel toolbox but that has limited function on my Kingston SNV425 DDSNOW V-series drive.

I've considered setting up a new partition of my secondary drive to install the operating system onto. But that seems like a lot of work if this isn't the issue.

Also, when it "crashes" it isn't a BSOD but a dead stop like a breaker was tripped. Since I haven't used SSD drives maybe a voltage spike is causing this. QUESTION: why wouldn't it do it in safe mode. I can run for hours on end in safe mode.

Any tips?

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
failed when I was trying to install adobe acrobat to read the install direction for the Intel toolkit.

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW.txt   6.12KB   184 downloads