Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer only runs in safe mode - odd behavior and shuts down

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
This is the only error that happened in regular mode:

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/12/2011 5:42:17 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 7001 Source: Service Control Manager
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

All the rest are from the Safe Mode boot and most are caused by being in Safe Mode.

You can live without the Computer Browser service so I would turn it off. (Right click on Computer and select Manage, continue, then Services and Applications then Services. In the right pane find Computer Browser and right click and select Properties. Change the Startup Type to Disabled then Apply.

Could it be the power supply is marginal? Probably takes more power to run in regular mode (certainly the video is going to need more power to do more than basic VGA which is all it can do in Safe Mode) and it might be "crowbar"ing which would shut things down in an instant. Can you start a lot of programs in Safe Mode (watch a movie, run an anti-virus scan, play a game etc) so that the CPUs start running close to 100% and see if you can get it to die? Is the Video card a separate unit? Is there a built-in video connection on the motherboard so that you could remove it altogether? Just checked your mobo specs and there isn't so that's out but could you perhaps change the video to run only VGA? Isn't there an option in Safe Mode to run VGA? Does it crash there too?

Advertisements

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
So far everything is very stable in safe mode. However, since so many things are disabled I can't get much to run.

Now I can't even get to the log in screen to get into normal mode. :(

Do you know of any tests I can run on the motherboard/processors, something to push it before windows even starts?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Not my usual thing but I would try the ultimate boot cd:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Lot of tests on it and you do boot from it so windows is not in play.

I use Hiren's miniXP a lot in malware:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

I see it has a bunch of testing software that looks like what you want so you might want to try it too:

Download is at:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Finally got things to run in normal mode by using the msconfig setting for "base video". At least that's what I think helped it.

ran VEW after playing around for quite awhile before it crashed and FINALLY got some different looking results.

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW.txt   2.37KB   511 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Starting to smell like a power supply on the edge to me.

Wonder why it has ? before the month, day and year?

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, is not ready for access yet.

Is that your boot drive or the other drive?

For the shadow copy stuff you can use Vssadmin from an elevated Command Prompt.

By itself it will give you a list of valid commands.

Vssadmin list shadowStorage

will show you your current size among other things.

Mine says:

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
© Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association
For volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{e3043376-4797-11e0-a87e-806e6f6e6963}\
Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{e3043376-4797-11e0-a87e-806e6f6e69
63}\
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 9.527 GB (0%)
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 9.914 GB (0%)
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 10 GB (0%)

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I did a few things and it has been running crash free (normal mode) for 2+ hours now.

1) Jiggled the connections all on the hardware and wires to my motherboard
2) Dumped a bunch of stuff from my primary drive to free up 6GB of space (it was nearly full with windows.old junk)
3) Reset the CMOS using the button on the motherboard
4) Currently running with "base video" enabled
5) I also changed one of the power connections EPS/APX12V (to motherboard) that was a 4 pin connection on my old PSU and 8 with the new one. I changed it back to a 4 pin configuration.

So far I have been finding things to do to try and make it crash and it hasn't. I even installed my audio drivers with no issues so far.

*finger's crossed*

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
not sure what to make of the results, but here is the vssadmin shot

Attached Thumbnails

• shadow.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I suppose windows allocates space for the shadow copies based on the size of the drive. I have a 1 TB drive in this thing and my allocated size is 10GB so about 1 %. The error said it had maxed out but that doesn't appear to be the case. Probably barking up the wrong tree here anyway. Don't think it could cause your PC to crash without at least a BSOD.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Its been a couple of weeks since I last posted and I'm happy to report that my computer seems to be very stable now. I never did pinpoint what the exact issue was but I'll try to summarize some things I checked for those reading this with similar issues.

Here are some things I did to get it working, one of them or a combo of them got me up and running again.

1) check for and remove any malware
2) check power supply (I had just changed mine, it had a 4 pin connection that I went to the 8, and back to 4)
3) check all connections to the motherboard AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN, it doesn't take much to cause a loose connection
4) run chkdsk several times in short and long modes on both harddrives, use seatools to also scan before windows starts
5) I finally had to re-install windows and start from scratch
6) Also check your temperatures (mine all checked out good)

Thanks RKinner for all your support. You kept me from throwing this thing onto the freeway during rush hour.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
You can uninstall or delete any tools we had you download and their logs.

OTL has a cleanup tab if you go there it will remove itself and its logs.

To hide hidden files again (OTL may do it for you):

Vista or Win7

# Open the Control Panel menu and click Folder Options.
# After the new window appears select the View tab.
# Remove the check in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
# Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Do not Show hidden files and folders.
# Check the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
# Press the Apply button and then the OK button and exit My Computer.

Also make sure you have the latest versions of any adobe.com products you use like Shockwave, Flash or Acrobat.

Whether you use adobe reader, acrobat or fox-it to read pdf files you need to disable Javascript in the program. There is an exploit out there now that can use it to get on your PC. For Adobe Reader: Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader, Edit, Preferences, Click on Javascript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript. OK Close program. It's the same for Foxit reader except you uncheck Enable Javascript Actions.

To help keep your programs up-to-date you should download and run the UpdateChecker:
http://www.filehippo.../updatechecker/
(You don't need to download Betas and if there is a program you don't use you can just uninstall it rather than update it. Exception is MSN messenger which appears to be part of Windows.)
If you get a blocked program notice after installing updatechecker then change it to not run at start then manually run it once a week.

If you use Firefox then get the AdBlock Plus Add-on. WOT (Web of Trust) is another you might want to try.
The equivalent to AdBlock Plus for IE is called Simple Adblock and you should install it too: http://simple-adblock.com/
The free version only blocks 200 ads a day so another reason to use Firefox or Chrome.

If Firefox is slow loading make sure it only has the current Java add-on. Then download and run Speedy Fox.
http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox . You can run it any time that Firefox seems slow.

Be warned: If you use Limewire, utorrent or any of the other P2P programs you will almost certain be coming back to the Malware Removal forum. If you must use P2P then submit any files you get to http://virustotal.com before you open them.

If you have a router, log on to it today and change the default password! If using a Wireless router you really should be using encryption on the link. Use the strongest (newest) encryption method that your router and PC wireless adapter support especially if you own a business. See http://www.king5.com...-120637284.html and http://www.seattlepi...ted-1344185.php for why encryption is important. If you don't know how, visit the router maker's website. They all have detailed step by step instructions or a wizard you can download.

Ron

Advertisements