Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can system be recovered using Dell Windows XP CD

• Please log in to reply

SueTD

SueTD

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I am starting a new topic because I had been out of town for a week and my original topic was closed due to inactivity. I did not have access to the internet while I was away. The end of the correspondence said something like contacting staff administration but I don't know how to do that. If anyone can help me and wants to see the steps leading up to the most recent blue screen, it is the newest topic under my screen name; search SueTD. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop computer with Windows XP. My Dell Windows XP CD says Service Pack 2 but somewhere along the way, I must have installed a download for Service Pack 3, since that is what I was told I have.

I had been getting help under the Malware and Spyware topic until the system got to where I had to try to recover. The messages I received on my screen during the last step I was working on said I need a Microsoft Windows XP CD but I only have a Dell Windows XP CD. The message said it did not have a recognized Microsoft image. As I was following the instructions from my original post/reply, I kept getting messages about not being able to install some of the items (you can tell I am not that computer literate!) so I would press the key it said to try again and then I chose skip if it didn't work.

As I was about 80% through, I got a blue sreen that says STOP: c000021a {fatal error} The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down.

I happened to be in Best Buy with my laptop, which turned out to only need an adapter, and I mentioned the situation I had with my Dell PC. The Geek Squad rep said I can't recover my system without losing everything unless I had a Microsoft Windows XP CD. Does anyone here know if this is true? Hopefully not and someone can tell me how to recover my system with the Dell Windows XP CD!

Please help me! I really would just like to get my work folder and some photos off the Dell. I have a portable USB disk drive called SimpleDrivePS from SimpleTech. This may have a backup of my system but I am not sure from how long ago. If we can't recover the whole thing from the computer, after we restore it to the original, I would need help on how to get the information from the portable drive to the computer.

Thanks
Sue

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Contact Mailprog and ask him to reopen your topic. If he cannot do it then he will be able to have a admin reopen for him quickly. It is important to continue with that topic till it is finished as we don't know if your system is healthy yet or not and any steps we take may be useless.