Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running computer no matter what i do

• Please log in to reply

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have scanned with spyware and Malware, and i have cleared that up but i have like a 1094 errors on my computer could this be causing my problem? I cannot afford to buy any of the programs to clear this up, is there some other way to clear these errors and will this solve my problem?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First what program is finding the errors and what are the general errors it is finding?

Hello Anna Tortoris.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you Mod, I have a 2003 HP Pavilion 505n (Desktop). It is Windows XP. I added 256MB hard drive because the last one went out,and i still have 93% not used. Then i added .5GB of Ram, thinking this would speed my computer up, but it didn't work. I Bought Kaspersky and put it on and it found no virus's, then went online and downloaded Super Anti-Spyware, and then downloaded MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Well i had virus's on my computer, these programs told me and then i deleted them, and that didn't help, so went online to see if i could scan computer for error messages, i did and the scan told me that i had 1096 error messages then i ran fix and it only fixed 19 of the errors and then they wanted me to buy the program, it was a mixture of error messages, and i don't know what any of them are. And that is where i am now. Still with no faster computer than what it was. I don't know very much about computers but i really have been trying to find out everything that i can to be able to work on it somewhat.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me guess it was some registry fix program correct?

I would like you to do the following please and then I can get a better picture of at least part of what is going on.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I hope you can read this, as it is in notepad.Attached File  AutoRuns Results.txt   28.1KB   156 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi rshaffer61, i have done what you told me to do, first i ran oldtimer, then ran auslogics disk defrag, now it is telling me to download auslogics bootspeed because i had 5 junk mails and 9 registry errors. Should i run this or not?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NO........... do not run any other program unless instructed as they can cause adverse affects. Is the system running any faster now?

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes it is running faster than it was, still somewhat slow but it is an old computer. I was waiting about 6 minutes for internet to open to even get to my mail, now not even 2 minutes so it helped a lot. So i thank you very much for what you have done for me.
Sincerely Anna Tortoris

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and we are not done yet.
What browser do you use IE, FireFox, Chrome or a different one?

Advertisements

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I use IE

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK please try this and let me know if the browser works faster.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i did all of the add ons and nothing changed even did the one at a time and still nothing changed. Also should i now uninstall all the programs that i have downloaded, like Autoruns, TFC, and disk defrag or should i leave them on my computer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The autoruns yes you can get rid of that. The other two if you run them once a week will help keep your system running good.
Please do the following and let me know if it helps.
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I do not have the CD for my XP. I borrowed it from a friend when i changed my hard drive, and that friend has moved off. So now am i at a stand still till i can buy the CD?