Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running computer no matter what i do

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that tells me the IE issue is with the add ons or toolbars.
14 seconds for FF is not bad actually.

Advertisements

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The bad thing is i don't really know what i can do without and what i need to keep enabled on the addons.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you need to disable is the toolbars. I found this researching the issue and found this on how to remove the toolbars.

Internet Explorer and Windows Vista include several layers of defense to prevent unwanted software from modifying the Internet Explorer configuration. If an unwanted toolbar does appear in Internet Explorer, you can disable it using the Add-on Manager. Sometimes, however, the problem may be more persistent. If the problem persists, start Internet Explorer in No Add-ons mode and then use the Add-on Manager to disable all add-ons that you have not intentionally installed.
In Internet Explorer 7, No Add-ons mode allows Internet Explorer to temporarily run without any toolbars, ActiveX controls, or other add-ons. It is very useful when troubleshooting a problem that might be related to an add-on. To enable Add-ons Disabled mode, follow these steps:

Open the Start menu and point to All Programs.
Point to Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
Note the Information bar display in your browser that indicates add-ons are disabled.

Running Internet Explorer from the standard Start menu shortcut will return the functionality to its prior state.

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It doesn't make any difference without addons, and i did the bare minimum addons by the dates they were put on and it still didn't make any difference. :(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What version of IE are you using?

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i am using IE 8, because it won't update to IE 9.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What happens when you try to update to IE9?

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have to have windows 7 or Vista, and i have neither.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh that is correct. No problem you will have to stay with IE8.
Have you done any Windows updates from Microsoft lately and do you know if you are completely up to date with them?

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes i just did a windows update and everything was updated. Can i or should i try to delete or take off IE 8 and reinstall it, or is that something you just don't do? I am also trying to think of things i can do but i tell you this has me stumped, unless it is just too old of a computer, it is a 2003, but i thought that a computer is a computer and it should run good if the system is good, and my system is good. :(

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets try something and see if it works.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I do not have the windows XP Cd. I had borrowed it from a friend who has now moved.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is there anyone else you can borrow one from?

Anna Tortoris

Anna Tortoris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm trying to see if i can locate one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It has to be the same version you have and type. By that I mean the version would be either Home, Media or Pro and the type would be either OEM or Retail.
The reg key will only work with what you have installed currently. :thumbsup: