Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My monitor Wont Wake Up

• Please log in to reply

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have just installed a new G card. Now when i turn my pc on, the monitor doesnt wake up! I have to turn the monitor off, turn the pc on then turn the monitor on. Even then that sometimes doesnt work.

Please help!

Advertisements

spaceagecow

spaceagecow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Reseat the ram and graphics card also check power connections.

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
If you are still having problems after following Spaceagecow's advice:

This seems like an obvious driver issue. You may have an incorrect graphics card driver installed, no graphics card driver or it has not installed correctly.

Go to Start > right-click My computer > manage > select > device manager > scroll down to Dispay Adapters and expand this heading.

You should now see the card you installed. If not, you have no display driver installed or you also might see a yellow exclamation mark (meaning you definately have either an incorrect driver installed or an incorrectly installed driver.
If your video card name is being displayed, right-click it and select Uninstall.
When complete, reboot and then insert the disk that came with the card and re-install the display driver and reboot

Step 1. If this is a second-hand card with no disk, let me know exactly which card you have and what operating system you are using and I will give you a link to the correct driver to download.

Step 2. If you installed the driver and it's still playing up, follow step 1.

Edited by Akabilk, 30 November 2011 - 01:21 PM.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Yes, maybe the problem is with your drivers. Just goto "Control Panel" uninstallation option. You will see your driver here. Just uninstall it and re-install again after restarting. Again, You haven't told what your G card is. You should install the latest version because if your G card is a little older it may not support your win.
But also remember, after uninstalling, if your graphics works properly, you don't need to install drivers because Win 7 can automatically catch and recognize drivers.

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
card and everything is firmly set etc and i uninstalled and re installed Nvidia driver 285.62. Still no luck!

My card is an Asus GTX460 overclocked. Got it secondhand and it came with no cd. I run windows 7 64bit.

Thanks for the help guys.

spaceagecow

spaceagecow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Not one to overclock personally so cant comment but you might want to reset your bios to defalts use the drivers provided by asus http://www.official-...CFYE3pAoddAhQmQ

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

card and everything is firmly set etc and i uninstalled and re installed Nvidia driver 285.62. Still no luck!

My card is an Asus GTX460 overclocked. Got it secondhand and it came with no cd. I run windows 7 64bit.

I also have an ASUS GTX400 series card, so give this a try -

Please go here: http://support.asus....lk4mHtGKaKSDDOJ
and download Version 267.85 from ASUS Support for a GTX400 series card in a W7 64bit setup. There is no mention of the Nvidia Geforce 400 series driver 285.62. for some (ASUS) reason.

Edit to add info:
As there is also a card bios update available and offered in that link, I would try the above possible fix before attempting to update a card bios. One mistake and goodbye card! :(

Edited by Akabilk, 01 December 2011 - 02:03 PM.

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I also have an ASUS GTX400 series card, so give this a try -

Please go here: http://support.asus....lk4mHtGKaKSDDOJ
and download Version 267.85 from ASUS Support for a GTX400 series card in a W7 64bit setup. There is no mention of the Nvidia Geforce 400 series driver 285.62. for some (ASUS) reason.

Edit to add info:
As there is also a card bios update available and offered in that link, I would try the above possible fix before attempting to update a card bios. One mistake and goodbye card! :(

Just to inform me more than anything please, but is there a difference between the asus driver update and the invidia update? Cause going by the numbers am i not going backwards?
im ignorant to these things so would appreciate an explination.

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I think it's worth a shot to install what ASUS recommends, not Nvidia.
Your choice of course.

Still, it may or may not fix the problem, but it's a process of elimination and the driver is one of the best places to start.

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Just to let you know, it sorted its self out. Starts fine now.