Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 6400 not booting up after shut down, no POST

• Please log in to reply

adeelpasha

adeelpasha

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

I faced this problem few days back. I fell asleep while using my Dell Inspiron 6400 on the bed. After a couple of hours, I woke-up, realized it and put it in stand-by mode. In the morning, I tried to turn-on the system but it wouldn't come out of stand-by mode. So, I did a forced shut-down by holding power-button. Since then, the laptop is not booting-up.

Here are the symptoms:

1) When I try to turn it on, the three LEDs caps-lock, num-lock, etc. lit-up for few seconds.

2) The HDD and optical drive get the power.

3) Then the whole system dies down.

4) Only the power status LED is lit.

5) There is life in HDD and optical drive as I can pull out optical drive by pushing its eject button. Similarly, when I turn-off the system, I can hear the HDD power-off sound.

Things that I have tried:

1) Remove one of the two DDR2 RAMs. Swap them. Clean the gold pins with pencil eraser for possible corrosion. When I remove both the RAMs, I get caps-lock and the other LED blinking showing that there is a hardware fault.

2) Remove the HDD, remove the optical drive

3) Open up the laptop and clean the CPU fan and cooling assembly.

4) Reseating the processor.

5) Taking out the battery, AC power and keep power-button pressed for 60 sec to completely drain the residual power. Then putting back the whole assembly.

Overall, there is no result.

I could think of two possible answers: 1) Either both the RAMs are fried 2) The BIOS has been corrupted somehow as the system enters it but cannot proceed further.

A helpful suggestion would be much appreciated....

Regards,

Adeel

Advertisements

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Is your computer's first screen showing up so that you can access extra option like "Safe Mode"?

adeelpasha

adeelpasha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No there is nothing ... It's pitch black ... Even the DELL logo and the BIOS options don't show up ...

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Then your problem is very deep inside. Maybe it's problem of your MOTHERBOARD or your HARD DISK. You can take it to any technician. And there is very less chance of our help as you can't even see the first screen of your computer.

abhi.

abhi.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey i have come up with same problem. it had occured before also but at that time my motherboard and lot of hardware were was replaced since it was in warranty.
can you help me with info related to your's problem solution