Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware clean-up

• Please log in to reply

jflow

jflow

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
one of my computers became infected with malware which made it impossible to open any programs or use the internet. A friend was able to get on to the internet and installed and ran AVG antivirus. It is now possible to open microsoft office files and open folders. There are many things that still dont work:

I cannot open the control panel, or any programs in it

Every time I try to open a program from the program icon, I get c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe, this error occured when I tried to open the "add or remove programs" icon

when I try and open firefox I get a very long java error\

If i try to open excel from the icon, it says "program not found"

an AVG scan reported and cleaned all malicious remaining files, are there still some left? Or do I need to find a way to fix what the malware left behind?

Thanks SO much!

Advertisements