Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express is Slow to open!

• Please log in to reply

wbaron

wbaron

• Pip
  • 2 posts
New to this forum. I have researched this Outlook Problem and have seen several "fixes" but nothing works. I even reformatted my harddrive thinking that it would clear up. My problem is simple....whenever I open OE, it takes forever to open up and then when I try to create mail or other options, it takes forever again. I am operating with Windows 98, Internet Explorer 6.0 with all the updates. I even re-installed it with no luck. Any suggestions? Please help.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.

What are your computer specifications? Processor, Memory, Harddrive?

wbaron

wbaron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is a dinosaur; 350 MHz Pentium II, 96 RAM, 6 gig HD. It has run fine for years then all of a sudden (right around the time we got that digital phone from TWC) it began going slow. My online banking goes slow now too. Besides my online banking, the rest of IE works fine. I reformatted with no luck. I am tempted to reformat again but want to see if anyone else is having same problems. Thanks.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
You may have installed so many programs that your system specifications cannot handle, that means the available resources for opening your OE is limited.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Disk space requirements for Internet Explorer 6 installation
  • Minimum system requirements to run Internet Explorer 6:
    - 486 /66 MHz processor (Pentium processor recommended)
  • - Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition:
    16 MB of RAM minimum
    Windows 98 full install size: 11.5 MB
    Windows 98 Second Edition full install size: 12.4 MB
  • - CD-ROM drive (if installation is done from a CD-ROM)
  • - Some components may require additional system resources
    not outlined above.
You may have meet some system requirements, however if you have a bundled softwares installed then it would probably slow down.

Try clearing up disk space from temp folders, use CleanUp, found just below my signature. Run scandisk, then disk defragment.

To be sure you are not infected with a virus, have an On-line scan at this sites: Trend Micro or Panda Scan.

Or READ THIS

Edited by kool808, 02 June 2005 - 07:18 PM.