Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

tofayel521

tofayel521

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
Most of us knows that there are so many antivirus are available in the market such as Avira,Kaspersky,Avast,Macfee Norton etc. But I am very much confused what antivirus should I use? What things should be countable to choose a best anti virus? Have any link to give me a good suggestion?

Regards

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The choice of a AV is a personal preference and depending on you talk to you will get different suggestions.
Here at GTG we advise one of the following most of the time.

• MSE or Microsoft Security Essentials
  • Avast
  • Avira

I personally use Avast and have for 2 years with no issues. My wife uses MSE for the last 6 months and likes it alot. If I were to suggest any it would be one of those two.
:thumbsup:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I've been putting MSE on my customers' and my kids' laptops, and haven't had any problems. I like the price (free!) it updates regularly and unobtrusively and it seems to do the job. We have 4 teens, and there haven't been any issues, so that's a good endorsement right there.
Johanna

josefthomson

josefthomson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
For choosing the best antivirus depends on several factors the best antivirus software is the one that meets your needs.Questions such as how much you can afford to spend the type of home or business network used, typical Internet usage and system properties all factor into which software is best. Equivalent comparisons, diligent research and an accurate assessment of need all play an important part in choosing the right solution.The best approach to choosing the right computer security solution is to determine what you actually need.Wireless home networking equipment, for example, often includes the ability to establish a network-based firewall. Users who have this type of setup might not need an antivirus program that includes a firewall.For another individual or business, the ability to scan email and filter out spam might be just as important as virus protection. Consider factors such as the type and age of the computer system, how often files are downloaded and available system resources or disk space. Likewise, consider your network setup and whether multiple licenses are required for multiple computers.This link-
http://www.techyv.co...-virus-software can also affect your taking final decision.

Regards,
Josef,

turnorburn

turnorburn

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
A few things to consider #1 the geek behind the controls, if you stray into territory where the signpost up ahead says danger and you ignore it a good antivirus doesn't do much good. #2 an extra application to help you to see those signposts "W.O.T" is one, painted in three colors green yellow and red you make the choice. #3. The antivirus itself I've used Avira "free" and Microsoft Security Essentials "free" both excellent applications, the latter stopped three bad boys cold in their tracks..

And that's my two sense.. :thumbsup:

turnorburn

Black Knight's Babe

Black Knight's Babe

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I use Panda Cloud AV. I've used it for 11 months. So far, no viruses or any issues. :)

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I've been using avast! for about 2 years now; I LuV it!
I liked the sound of the update in version 5 better...
(Who doesn't enjoy a Stephen Hawking like mech-voice?)
And I liked the version 5 appearance better too, but...
I really can't complain because it works perfect for me.

The avast! forums are great; I always find the answers
I need there, either by searching or starting a thread.
The only issue I ever had was when my computer crashed
while avast! was mid update; I had to manually install
the update to repair the updating process. Easy Peasy.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus is effective at successfully blocking, removing, neutralizing and preventing malware infections. Third-party industry testers and reviewers agree that Bitdefender is one of the best. It ensures security without sacrificing speed. Smart Scan technology takes advantage of PC processing power without being burdensome. Depending on what other tasks you have running and what resources are available, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus adjusts to optimize operations and maintain speed. In order to maintain the maximum performance that contributes to ease of use, the Scan Dispatcher feature discovers and uses available time slices if your system's resource utilization drops below a certain threshold.