Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Virus Software for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Jbees000

Jbees000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
What's the best virus software to run for Windows 7? I am running McAffee and it seems to make my computer very slow.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm happy with Microsoft Security Essentials.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been using the Free Avast AV for years now. I have had norton, McAfee, Trend, AVG, and a few others and find all BUT AVG and Avast just too intrusive in the OS to keep them on my computers. AVG was very good but kept me from downloading some things it saw as malware( daemon tools, etc)which Avast did not, so i use avast. I do notice that Avast updates almost daily, and when there is a lot of revisions it reinstalls a new AV with all the updates.

SRX660

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
For paid antivirus my favorites are Norton Antivirus 2012, and Trend Titanium 2012. Both are light on system resources, and use reputation scores to help avoid social engineering and polymorphic download infections.

Microsoft Security Essentials is the lightest on system resources of any free or paid antivirus. However, you'll only get the benefits of reputation when used with IE9 (smart screen). Avast is also a nice free antivirus, and very good at blocking drive-by download infections from hacked sites.