Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I Connect A Sata Dvd Drive Via IDE Someway?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I have a brand new Sata Dvd drive which I would like to use as a burner. It has the Sata style power, and motherboard connection. But I'd like to use it in an older pc which only has IDE on the motherboard, and normal molex power connections on the PSU.

What's the best way to convert it all and have the following connections on the Dvd drive:

Sata>IDE>to Motherboard
Sata Power>Molex Power>to Power Supply Unit

?????????????????????????????????????????????

I'd also like to know if this would hinder any complete burns. Or if I would than need to create a basic regime whereas I must not burn at high speeds of some sort, or what have you?

I'm pretty sure the easiest part would be to just buy a Sata to Molex power adapter cable which I could probably get on eBay for pennies. But I mention it in case there's a cool double way to do both that and the IDE conversion with a specific adapter or something.

Thx

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Power connetor adapters for SATA are standard and easy to find. The data interface is where decisions must be made. If me, I would get a PCI card, similar to one of these.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Power connetor adapters for SATA are standard and easy to find. The data interface is where decisions must be made. If me, I would get a PCI card, similar to one of these.

That link doesn't work!!!

Hey so the secondary internal sata port on my pci card should work with a sata dvd drive right?

Posted Image

Edited by superstar, 04 December 2011 - 12:34 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

That link doesn't work!!!

Does for me!