Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help me please

• Please log in to reply

CluelessGeek

CluelessGeek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I ordered parts and they came in. Eagerly, I set out on putting it all together.

The set up:
Intel DX58SO2
Intel i7 950 LGA 1366
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM 4 sticks at 4GB ea
EVGA GTX560

I have an Antec PSU from 3 years ago, which was working fine with my previous set up:
NVidia 680i SLi MoBo
Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
xFx 512 mb GPU

However, after putting my new set up together, the PSU fan and CPU fan spun up for under a second, then nothing.
I tried disconnecting everything, back to checking the CPU and pins on the MoBo. Connections all seem fine, and no visible hardware problems.

I tried running with only one stick of RAM, and only a keyboard attached.

Same result.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is this hardware setup not compatible?

MoBo lights are on, I'm really stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by CluelessGeek, 02 December 2011 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi CluelessGeek, Posted Image

What model of PSU do you have?

CluelessGeek

CluelessGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't recall the model, but it is an Antec 600 watt that I bought 3 years ago.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Eagerly, I set out on putting it all together.

Eagerly? :unsure: In that case, I recommend pulling the mother board and be 200%, 300% sure you have installed standoffs ONLY where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole. Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards and therefore typically have many more mounting points than any given board.

Did you observe necessary ESD precautions when handling the board, CPU and RAM as spelled out in your motherboard and CPU installation guides?

Are you sure you connected ALL the necessary power connections to the motherboard? There typically are 2 or 3 cables from the PSU that connect to modern motherboards.

Are you absolutely sure you have wired the case's front panel connections to the motherboard's front panel I/O header properly?

Did you use TIM (the OEM or apply your own)?

CluelessGeek

CluelessGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your replies. I'm at work now so, I can't try anything until I get home.

I'm fairly certain standoffs are only where they should be and ECD precautions were followed.

The 20 pin and 2x4 pin connections were made, and so were the front I/o connections properly (double checked it last night.

Any other ideas on what could be wrong?

Is it reasonable to assume PSU?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Is it reasonable to assume PSU?

To assume? No. But to verify you have good power, yes - I always want to know if I am supplying good power before I start committing money or much time to anything.

CluelessGeek

CluelessGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you, Digerati. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I'll be. Looking into it when I go home after work.

What I'm thinking to do is try the PSU on my old board, and if that all works out, it's probably a problem with my connections and/or hardware. If it doesn't, I'm thinking it's a PSU issue. Does that make sense?

Edited by CluelessGeek, 02 December 2011 - 11:55 AM.

CluelessGeek

CluelessGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, it's all starting up now. GPU had 2 PCI-E slots! Can't believe that was causing the hang up.

Now the problem is Windows doesn't start. BSOD for new hardware. =(

I did a digital upgrade to Windows 7, so, I think I'm stuck and have to buy a new copy of windows for the disc. =(

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I did a digital upgrade to Windows 7, so, I think I'm stuck and have to buy a new copy of windows for the disc. =(

Not sure what that means? Do you have a Windows license for this new machine?

CluelessGeek

CluelessGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's a legitimate copy, purchased through Microsoft, only it was downloaded and installed.

So, I don't have the disc

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Okay, then you can check license that should have come (I assume by email) with your purchase. My guess is it is tied that the computer you purchased it for.