Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CCleaner - Registry Cleaner

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I know it is GTG's position to recommend against cleaning your registry. However the attached represents items from closed files from the conservative CCleaner's. Is it OK to remove these and then defrag the registry using NTREGOPT (from ERUNT)?

Thanks for your help

Edited by joseph456, 03 December 2011 - 07:16 PM.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Is there any particular problem you are having??It is best to just leave the registry alone.I am almost certain that you wont feel any difference if you delete entries in the registry.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
No Problem. Will follow your advice. Thanks for your help and quick response.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
On second thought - Macboatmaster if you get a chance to review this log do you think those Active X entries have anything to do with my previous problem of the inability to remove the Downloaded Program files?

Meikahyael

Meikahyael

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Is it OK to remove these and then defrag the registry...

Joseph456,

Your question was interesting to me since I am a relatively new user of CCleaner, and I was wondering the same thing. I think it has a pretty good reputation, as I've seen it recommended at many sitse like these that I trust. I have allowed CCleaner to remove everything it finds in the past and have not seen any adverse effects. I did back up the registry before this just to be safe. I also found an interesting discussion here related to your question which may provide you more insight. Happy Computing!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
joseph456

Macboatmaster if you get a chance to review this log do you think those Active X entries have anything to do with my previous problem of the inability to remove the Downloaded Program files?

The honest and simple answer is - I have no idea.

HOWEVER as I said on the other thread when we were satisfied that both computers were now running well, compared with how they were when we started.
Those few entries in the downloaded program files and the Occache that cannot be deleted are not causing problems.

My advice is, as it was then, leave them and SIMPLY check that the number of files in there, do NOT increase, insofar as relates to those which are damaged.
YOUR version of IE you will remember, does not use those folders for the four vitally important ActiveX controls.

Hard Drive Defrag
If you take for one moment of time a HDD and subject it to a heavy installation of files and an uninstall of those, together with a change in those files etc, then over a period of time the drive will become fragmented.

If you now change the HDD and use the example of a storage drawer or your tools in the garage, it is easier to find a particular item, if all similar items are stored in the same place. For instance, it is harder to find a particular screwdriver, if the screwdrivers are scattered all over various places in amongst other tools.

SO IT IS with the hard drive - seeking a particular file

Therefore when the drive is fragmented AND either Windows disk defrag analysis reports that a defrag is required or whatever utility you use, all the files necessary, are moved to create blocks of files in contiguous locations on the hard drive - just as moving all the screwdrivers to the same storage place.

Now go back to the storage drawer, and albeit all the items are carefully arranged in the drawer, leave just small areas of free space, in between all the items..

Imagine now the diffculty of then placing into the drawer a relatively large item, or indeed a number of smaller items.
Either it will not fit, or it takes a long time, deciding which item will fit in which area of free space.

How much easier the job is when all the items are moved, in some form of order and ONE Area of unused space is left.

This is the principle in simple terms of a disk defragmentation.

NOW move to the registry
The registry does NOT work. nor is arranged in a way that can be compared with the files on the hard drive.
There is NO SUCH fragmentation of the registry in the first place.
Deleting an unused registry key either by uninstalling the program, using its OWN uninstaller OR using Windows Add/Remove programs - does NOT result in a requirement to DEFRAG the registry, no matter how many registry entries are removed.

Without unnecessarily. complicating the explanation further, the registry, by its very nature and the way it is organised NEVER requires defragging.
In fact, those utilities that claim to do so are best LEFT alone and not installed in the first place.

In summary it is NOT in anyway comparable to the files on the hard drive, nor indeed to my comparison of the storage drawer.
MY OPINION and you will always be able to find the contrary view is:
LEAVE the registry alone, except when in the hands of an expert who knows exactly which key, sub key, value etc can be deleted or changed.

NOW to CCleaner
It is, as has been said an excellent program. It has been around for years.
HOWEVER the registry aspect should never be used unless with advice of someone who knows exactly what they are allowing CCleaner to do.

Whilst there have been HARDLY any reports of CCleaner, even with the use of the registry aspect causing SERIOUS problems. There is one over-riding rule. IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT problems - do not use CCleaner or any other program, in an attempt to improve what is already perfectly acceptable to you. AND indeed to not use CCleaner to try and solve a problem - especially one relating to the registry.

The prime reason for using CCleaner is to clean uneeded files, when someone with knowledge has decided that such action is necessary.

The importance of backing up the registry and creating a restore point before any changes are made has already been stressed.

Finally the opinion of GeekstoGo on this issue of CCleaner
We consider it a very useful and trusted program.
We may in certain cicrcumstances recommend its use.
We will not however, recommend the use of the registry aspect, except on the direct advice of a Staff Member, at the time of its use on the thread.
Neither would we consider its use, without guidance, in the future, by the member who has requested assistance, to be an advisable course of action.

Note
CCleaner has a Registry cleaner feature. Because Registry cleaners have a history of damaging Registries, the use of CCleaner's Registry cleaner is recommended for advanced users only, and should never be used without backing up the Registry first.

I would add - if you do not know, exactly how the registry works, how it is made up of all its different keys, sub keys, values etc.
then you are NOT qualfied to use this aspect of the CCleaner program.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Macboatmaster -

Thanks. I appreciate your detailed response. FYI also have removed the registry cleaners I had previously installed.

Edited by joseph456, 04 December 2011 - 06:45 PM.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Meikahyael -

Thanks for the link. I am no longer comfortable removing registry entries (although I have been using various registry cleaners for 7 years - Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and CCleaner followed up by optimizing/defragging registry using ERUNT's NTREGOPT) based on the GTG suggestions that it really does not enhance performance (See excellent explanation by Macboatmaster previous to this response) and can turn your computer into a doorstop. As a result although I like the idea of removing entries from the registry and defragging it, it seems like no one can agree that it does anything for your computer's performance.

Edited by joseph456, 04 December 2011 - 06:50 PM.

Meikahyael

Meikahyael

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Meikahyael -

Thanks for the link. I am no longer comfortable removing registry entries (although I have been using various registry cleaners for 7 years - Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and CCleaner followed up by optimizing/defragging registry using ERUNT's NTREGOPT) based on the GTG suggestions that it really does not enhance performance (See excellent explanation by Macboatmaster previous to this response) and can turn your computer into a doorstop. As a result although I like the idea of removing entries from the registry and defragging it, it seems like no one can agree that it does anything for your computer's performance.

Sounds like the right thing to do, joseph456. Macboatmaster appears quite knowledgeable in this regard, so I think it wise we both heed his advice. Take good care.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Is it OK to remove these and then defrag the registry using NTREGOPT (from ERUNT)?

That is somewhat of a loaded question. I did not see anything in that screen shot that would cause Windows to not boot, but then again, your screen shot did not show everything that was tagged by CCleaner either. That said, I have used CCleaner's Registry cleaner for many years on countless systems with no problems - ever. But that does not mean I would ever recommend it with backing up the Registry first. And never, as in NEVER EVER use it to "fix" a broken computer.

And while I think ERUNT is, by far, the best Registry backup utility available, the way Registry entries are accessed does not convince me defragging the Registry has any benefits.

As far as defragging the HD, with plenty of free disk space on a modern system the benefits are minimal, at best. That said, before defragging I ALWAYS recommend performing a disk cleanup first, either with Windows own Disk Cleanup, or with CCleaner. This is necessary to remove the potentially 1000s of tiny temporary Internet files before defragging as defragging with all those tiny files is counterproductive. For this reason, I do not like, and recommend disabling Windows 7 automatic scheduled defragging.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Digerati -

After booting, I usually have to defrag first then use CCleaner then back to defrag otherwise AVG locks the log files and I am unable to defrag them.

Thanks for your help. FYI - these are all the entries from CCleaner. Most refer to programs that were uninstalled.

Unused File Extension .pfd HKCR\.pfd
Unused File Extension .000 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.000
Unused File Extension .NET HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.NET
Unused File Extension .old HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.old
Unused File Extension .revo HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.revo
Invalid Default Icon "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\desktop\ProcessMonitor\Procmon.exe",0 HKCR\ProcMon.Logfile.1\DefaultIcon
Open with Application Issue "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\desktop\ProcessMonitor\Procmon.exe" /OpenLog "%1" HKCR\ProcMon.Logfile.1\shell\open
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\smtpsnap.dll HKCR\CLSID\{03F1F940-A0F2-11D0-BB77-00AA00A1EAB7}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\logui.ocx HKCR\CLSID\{31DCAB85-BB3E-11D0-9299-00C04FB6678B}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\logui.ocx HKCR\CLSID\{31DCAB86-BB3E-11D0-9299-00C04FB6678B}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\logui.ocx HKCR\CLSID\{31DCAB87-BB3E-11D0-9299-00C04FB6678B}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\logui.ocx HKCR\CLSID\{31DCAB88-BB3E-11D0-9299-00C04FB6678B}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\mailmsg.dll HKCR\CLSID\{39b16f50-a8ba-11d1-aa91-00aa006bc80b}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\appconf.dll HKCR\CLSID\{5443AED3-A8AF-4351-B7E1-929EABCAF250}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\wamregps.dll HKCR\CLSID\{7C4E1804-E342-483D-A43E-A850CFCC8D18}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\iisext.dll HKCR\CLSID\{b4f34438-afec-11d1-9868-00a0c922e703}
ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\smtpsnap.dll HKCR\CLSID\{EE756760-C9C5-11D0-B967-00C04FC2F510}
Obsolete software key IObit HKLM\Software\IObit
Obsolete software key OldTimer Tools HKLM\Software\OldTimer Tools
Old Start Menu key Registry Cleaner HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\Auslogics\Registry Cleaner
Old Start Menu key WinUtilities HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\WinUtilities
Old Start Menu key WinUtilities Free Memory Optimizer HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\WinUtilities Free Memory Optimizer
Old Start Menu key WinUtilities RegistryDefrag HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\WinUtilities RegistryDefrag
Missing MUI Reference C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\desktop\ProcessMonitor\Procmon.exe HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
Invalid file reference Blank0Ő - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\1sterror.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChk1stError\Blank0Ő
Invalid file reference Blue C0 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\1sterror.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChk1stError\Blue C0
Invalid file reference Curren0 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\1sterror.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChk1stError\Curren0
Invalid file reference Old 620 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\1sterror.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChk1stError\Old 620
Invalid file reference Previo0 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\1sterror.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChk1stError\Previo0
Invalid file reference .current - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\completed.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChkProccessDone\.current
Invalid file reference .default - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\completed.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChkProccessDone\.default
Invalid file reference Blank0Ő - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\completed.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChkProccessDone\Blank0Ő
Invalid file reference Blue C0 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\completed.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChkProccessDone\Blue C0
Invalid file reference Curren0 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\completed.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChkProccessDone\Curren0
Invalid file reference Old 620 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\completed.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChkProccessDone\Old 620
Invalid file reference Previo0 - C:\Program Files\CDCheck\completed.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\CDCheck\CDChkProccessDone\Previo0

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

After booting, I usually have to defrag first then use CCleaner then back to defrag otherwise AVG locks the log files and I am unable to defrag them.

Something I forgot to mention, I always defrag in Safe Mode too. This ensures only the minimum number of files are open - and there for movable.

Most refer to programs that were uninstalled.

Yep. That's normal

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for your help.