Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless works, but desktop internet doesn't?

• Please log in to reply

lawilahd

lawilahd

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, I'm new to this forum and just wondering if any of you can help me with a problem I've been having over the past few days. This seemed to happen overnight and the night it happened there was a power outage so I don't know whether that has any effect on the problem. Anyway, the problem is that my 2 laptops seem to be working fine connected to my router (actiontechV1000H) however my desktop is not connecting to the internet at all and says there is limited connectivity to a unidentified network. I tried updating the drivers, using a different ethernet cable, checking a whole bunch of internet settings and running basic diagnostics but nothing seems to work and it either says " this computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured" and sometimes it just says network adapter without wireless is not configured or installed. My computer is an acer aspire E700 with windows vista, once again I don't know if that matters or not, and I'm hoping any of you guys can help me fix this annoying problem so I don't have to spend an hour on the phone with telus.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Try this http://www.crewetown.co.uk/winsock.exe save to your desktop and run it.Reboot and see if you can connect.

Edited by rockmilk, 02 December 2011 - 08:01 PM.

lawilahd

lawilahd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunetly i don't have a flash drive at the moment and cannot go on the internet on my desktop so i guess i will probably have to wait until i can get my hands on one (unless you were telling me to try winsock on the working laptop). Is there anything else I can try in the meantime that doesn't involve using the internet?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
You dont have a blank cd? I was gonna have you run a few test but they all involve the internet to download and transfer to the computer in question.No there is no need to run anything on your laptop.But I am sure that another number member can help.Im not that great with internet connection issues I have a couple methods to try but you will need a cd.

Can you try and boot into safemode with networking and see if it works there?

Edited by rockmilk, 02 December 2011 - 08:23 PM.

lawilahd

lawilahd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tons of blank DVD's hope those will work, so you want me to burn this program onto a DVD and then run it on my buggy computer to run the tests? Also I will try the safemode with networking as well but I'm very busy at the moment and will post back to this thread with my results, thank you for your continued help.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Yes you can burn it to a dvd!Let me know how it goes. :)

lawilahd

lawilahd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm trying to burn the file you gave me, but the file saves as a picture for some reason, and in IMG Burn it always says invalid file type not supported or something like that. I'm kinda confused now

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I would like to ask another member here to take this one.Sorry I didnt get back to sooner.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi lawilahd , Rockmilk asked me to see if I could help.

I was able to download the winsock.exe correctly so there is nothing wring with the link. All that does is reset the Windows Socket Services (TCP/IP stack) to installation defaults. You can also do it by entering two commands from an Elevated Command Prompt as follows:

Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories.
Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

Type the following commands exactly as shown and press Enter after each one.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the computer and see if you have internet. If not, do the following.

First, power off your desktop computer. Also remove the power plug from your router (if you have one) and the Broadband modem.
Wait a minute then plug in the Broadband modem.
Wait a minute or so then plug in the router (if you have one).
Power up the deskto9p and see if you have internet.

If not click on Start then Run and type the following into the Run box, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER (note the space between ipconfig and /all).

This runs the ipconfig command and redirects the output to the postme.txt file. Does the same with the output of the ping command.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

If you don't have a Run selection off the Start menu, see here: Enable Run Command on Windows 7 or Vista Start Menu