Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
This machine recently started to randomly shut itself down, and the power light blinks. I have pulled the ram out one at a time, changed harddrives, and while pulling one stick of ram, accidently bumped the cpu cooling fan, so I released the hold down device and rehooked it. The shutdowns quit for three days and suddenly started again. Since then I have taken the fan-heatsink loose cleaned them and put in new compound. It still runs for 2 or 3 days and startd shutting down again. Help!

Advertisements

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Oops this is a built machine with an MSI MB and running amd athlon 64x2 dual core 5200+ 2.60ghz and 2gts ram

Edited by jigsawbill, 03 December 2011 - 09:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi jigsawbill
A bad PSU and heat created by dust and inadequate ventilation are two possible causes.
Can you provide your PSU (power supply) details - brand name and output please.
Have you checked the power connections on the MB are securely in place, these may include a 4/8 pin 12V ATX type and 20/24 pin main power type connection also check that all other connections are secure including the fans and if you have an add on video card remove it, blow out the slot, reseat the card securely, do the same with the Ram and their slots.

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay thePSU is a Cooler Master RS-460-PMSR-A3 ATX The slots have been cleaned and connections seem to be tight. However the fan in the PSU appears to be turning slow and I cannot feel air coming out of it. I also installed Everst home edition.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The PSU may be the problem then so lets get some readings with Speedfan and HWMonitor;
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html again provide a screenshot.

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Here is what I got:
Sys Fan: 0 rpm
CPO) Fan: 3041rpm
Aux Fan: 0rpm
Cpy1Fan 0 rpm
Auz1 fan 0rpm

Gpu 59c
System 35c
CPU 43c
AUX 46c
HDO 41c
Core 43c

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you post actual screenshots please!

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
here they arespeed fan.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by jigsawbill, 03 December 2011 - 11:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The +3.3V and the +12V readings are acceptable but unfortunately there is no +5V reading which is not helpful, the CPU and the GPU temps would benefit from being lower, how many internal fans do you have and have you ensured they are working correctly.
I suggest that if you can borrow a PSU of the same or a higher output or have your PSU tested by a Tech with the correct equipment and knowledge.

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The only fans are the one in power supply and the CPU. I believe I'll get another power supply and try it, and there is a spot for additional fan on the back, believe I'll hook one up just in case. I suspected it had to be power but we fly by nighters can't really be sure. LOL Sure do thank you for your expertise and time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome and let us know if we can assist you with anything further.
If you need to purchase a new PSU use a calculator such as http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/ (example only) for guidance.
Another fan will help as will tidy cable management.

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Here is additional info concerning this problem. I removed the add on video card, and all the temps went down by about 13 degrees c. The computer stayed on for about 6 hours, and I shut it down last night. This morning I restarted and it got almost through boot up, and shut down, power light blinking. I borrowed a power supply tester and got LL on the +12v2. In addition I found that by unlatching the heatsink-cpufan, and wiggling it and relatching the machine will start and run until the next time I shut it down for a prolonged time. It appears that this thing loses something when it cools down. All the temps stay around 31c except when I work it then they go up to 34c. I just learned that the guy replaced the hdd when all this started as it (harddrive)would not power up. It was a 2 tbyte WD Green. He installed this 250g and new windows xp. I then traded for it. So whatever caused this problem may have gotten the hdd also.

Edited by jigsawbill, 04 December 2011 - 06:08 AM.

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
dec 4 cpuid.JPG This mornings readings

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The other oneDec 4.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Well all the readings we are getting now are good, it is just the lack of a +5V reading that concerns me and I still think that trying a known good working PSU is the way forward, the +5V supplies various components and if it is flaky it will cause shutdowns.