Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will Not Boot - Do Not Believe it is Malware

• Please log in to reply

chippern73

chippern73

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I hope someone can help me. After reading many threads and posts about non-booting computers I needed to start my own.

My 1995 Gatway computer with Windows XP Media operating system will not boot. I turned it on and I hear the fan going and see the yellow light on the hard drive light up but it never boots up. The screen is completely blank. I inserted my backup operation disk, which is self-booting, and the computer makes three or four beeps and then nothing. All the time the fan is going. So I have power.

Two days ago I booted the computer and a Window's screen came up and said that Windows had to check the disk structure. So I let it do its thing and when it was through it said everything was okay and then I rebooted, as it asked.

I do not believe Malware is invovled since I have not been connected to the internet for 10 months.

I have not checked inside to see if all cables to and from the mother board to the hard drive are connected. Should I do this?

What else can I do?

Otherwise I have had only one other issue about 14 months ago with a Malware attach. Some one here in this forum helped me out with that issue. They helped me promptly, which I appreciated.

So if there is anything anyone can help me with it is appreciated.
Thanks for the help.

Chuck

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When I insert the XP CD-ROM nothing comes up on the screen. The computer makes three or four beeps and then nothing. No screen activity at all. The screen is plugged in and it says no signal.

Chuck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on your bios this may tell you How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So it sounds like it may be either a POST/CMOS Error

Or a Motherboard issue.

Is there anything I can do if it is a POST/CMOS Error?

If it is a motherboard I'll research if I can get one for the computer I have.

I really want to get my files, photos, etc. from the computer.

thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it long beeps, short beeps or high low beeps?

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'll have to get back to you tomorrow with the exact beeps.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok no problem I will watch for your response then.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
rshaffer61
Please see this
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep Phill and i are watching each others topics to make sure we don't cross advice each other.
:thumbsup:

Advertisements

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When I turn on the PC I get three long beeps and nothing on the screen.

I do get a green light on my DVD/CD player, and briefly a yellow light, which I believe is for the hard drive. I can hear the two fans going and it sounds like the system is trying to boot up.

Is it possible to hook up an external bootable harddrive? Or can I take out the harddrive and plug it into someone elses computer to get the data?

Lastly, it appears that I did start two threads. Sorry.

I hope you can help me out since I haven't backed up my files for sometime and need the information from the hard drive.

Chuck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can put the hd in a external enclosure and then connect it via a USB connection on another computer to pull the data off.
Just as suspicion the beep codes I see that match yours means:
Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error
Have you tried a different keyboard?

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No. I will do so.

Not sure why I am getting no video signal and the fans are running and the computer sounds like it is trying to boot up, but doesn't it. Like I have said I get lights indcating that I am getting power to everything.

Chuck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The video may be the problem but lets test the keyboard theory first.

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I borrowed a keyboard, which I know is working and it did not work on my computer. There were no beeps when I turned on the computer with the "new" keyboard plugged in. So hooked up my old keyboard and turned it back on and there were no beeps. My old key board three lights light up for a second when the computer is first turned on and then go off. But like I have said that is normal for my computer booting up. Then the lights come back on when the computer boots.

With the "new" keyboard the lights never came on, but they did on my friends computer.

I believe that my computer is helpless, unless you can think of something else.

So at this point that what I need to do is remove the hard drive and see if I can copy the data to another disk or computer.

How would I do that? I have researched threads in this forum about doing this, but cannot find any. Can you direct me that way.

Chuck