Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Unncessary Files

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I found a file - then multiple files - while searching my disk drive and wondered if I can delete them to create more space. Some are in the Local Settings folder (Downloaded Installations) and others are in the Downloaded Installations folder. They have odd numeric/alpha names but if I hover over them they are downloads for programs I have since deleted.

Not sure how these got there but there is quite a bit of space they are taking up.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Downloaded Installation Files.JPG
  • Local Settings.JPG

Edited by joseph456, 03 December 2011 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi joseph456
Some general guidance first, never delete an item if you do not know what it is, avoid dll files at all costs and if a program has an uninstaller always use and follow the instructions precisely.

My first suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ do this at least once a week in the future, a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service here.

4th: Empty the Recycle bin on a regular basis.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.
What AV do you use (I noticed the Symantec folder in screenshot2), some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items. Uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Phillpower2 –

Appreciate your time and suggestions. On a regular basis I have been using TFC, ATF, Auslogics Defrag (using the optimize function once a week) and CCleaner which automatically empties the recycle bin. I have AVG 2012 installed (with LinkScanner and Identity Protection disabled and AntiVirus, Anti-Rootkit and PCAnalyzer enabled) and I run Malwarebytes periodically. Boot time is about 2.49 after monitoring with Soluto which I subsequently uninstalled.

I used to “clean the registry” using CCleaner and Auslogics defrag and previously Eusing. I have since stopped based on GTG advice and removed the registry cleaner programs.

I have attached the Autoruns txt you asked for but did not delete any items because 1) I don’t know what I am doing and 2) a previous tech advised that these files may be used by another program.

I have attached my msconfig startup showing items I have disabled. With those items disabled I only have 24 services running.

This computer is a Gateway M675 laptop with 2 mgs of ram and a 40 gig hard drive

This is from Piriforms’ Speccy:

Specification Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled
Bus Speed 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 798.0 MHz
Stock Core Speed 2800 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz

I also periodically run PC Pitstop. Here are the latest test results:

http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

From previous attachments I no longer have the following programs and do not know why the folders are still there even though I used Revo Uninstaller to remove them.

DFX, EISI, HuluDesktop, Mikogo4, O&O, Passmark, Slimware, Symantec, TrendMicro, WMTools Downloaded Files

The downloaded installations are files installed a long time ago. Lastly, what do you think about removing the $NTUninstall* programs which can be removed by CCleaner?

Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by joseph456, 04 December 2011 - 06:29 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
From your Autoruns, these require further investigation!
+ "Changer" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\Changer.sys"
+ "i2omgmt" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.sys"
X "NetworkX" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\NetworkX.sys"
+ "PCIDump" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.sys"
+ "PDCOMP" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\PDCOMP.sys"
+ "PDFRAME" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\PDFRAME.sys"
+ "PDRELI" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\PDRELI.sys"
+ "PDRFRAME" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\PDRFRAME.sys"
+ "SABProcEnum" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\SABProcEnum.sys"
+ "wanatw" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\wanatw.sys"
+ "WDICA" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\WDICA.sys"

I also noticed this + "SDTHOOK" "Panda Anti-Malware support driver (sdthook)" "Panda Software "c:\winnt\system32\drivers\sdthook.sys" you do not need this when using another AV product plus there may be issues caused by this and MBAM http://forums.malwar...showtopic=96997

I cannot see anything Symantec or Norton in your Autoruns but as a precaution run https://www-secure.s...n=1&pvid=f-home
You are using AVG which is a very good AV by the way but is also very demanding on system resources so consider changing to Avast or MSE, both are available as free versions and a lot lighter on resources, sort out the above please then post back when you can so we can look at the available space on your HDD etc.

I have looked at the PCPitstop report that you provided for my colleague Macboatmaster and I noticed that you have the Advanced SystemCare 5 (5.0.0) software installed, be careful of these so called miracle working system boosters as they can do more harm than good and the required fix more often than not will require a purchase from the software provider, some providers do in fact issue a warning;

One part of the program we recommend new users approach with extreme caution is the Turbo Boost, which can be set to optimize for either gaming or work purposes. It sounds fun, but you must first configure the tool by telling it which core system services to disable in order to accelerate your computer's performance. Since the Turbo Boost section doesn't spell out how disabling these services might affect your computer, we highly recommend doing your research before exploring.

Your earlier topic http://www.geekstogo...ce-of-pictures/

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Phillpower 2 -

Thanks for looking at this.

Also have a question regarding these items:

From previous attachments I no longer have the following programs and do not know why the folders are still there even though I used Revo Uninstaller to remove them.

DFX, EISI, HuluDesktop, Mikogo4, O&O, Passmark, Slimware, Symantec, TrendMicro, WMTools Downloaded Files (.msi files)

The downloaded installations (.msi files) are files installed a long time ago. Lastly, what do you think about removing the $NTUninstall* programs which can be removed by CCleaner?

1. Do you suggest and if so how do I remove the files listed (DFX, EISI, ...WMTools), also Downloaded Installations (.msi files) both under Administrator/Documents and Settings/Local Settings/Application Data (usually hidden) and under WINNT. 2. Also should I remove $NTUninstall programs

Per Macboatmaster's recommendations regarding tweaking tools and registry cleaners I have removed several "tools" I had installed.

Interesting that Panda and Symantec files are still there. They were removed from my system a long time ago. 3. How do I remove remaining files? Saw your note on the Norton files - 4. Which download should I use from their site - don't remember what Symantec product was installed.

Also updated my profile so you can see my system components.

Edited by joseph456, 06 December 2011 - 01:23 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
As I said in post #2

never delete an item if you do not know what it is, avoid dll files at all costs

DFX, EISI, I have no knowledge of what these are so cannot advise you, WMTools is part of Windows and should only be dealt with by advanced users.
So basically if you don`t know what it is don`t go there, if you do know what it is and it is safe to remove but there is no uninstaller go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it there, for empty folders that are no longer required right click on them and delete, these types of folders may include where you saved music files and pictures for example.

joseph456 go to Start, Search and type in PCIDump, what if anything is found please?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
joseph456

I am posting ONLY to cover this ONE point. and only in view of the fact that I helped you on the other thread that started with the redX

Downloaded Installations folder.

1. Is it not a hidden folder - I will stand corrected - but if it is may I ask - WHY are you looking - it is hidden to protect it.
Please do not be insulted by my question.
However more people have ruined systems by tweaking and deleting what they thought was going to make the system better - than EVER by leaving alone a few files that could perhaps be deleted.

2. Downloaded Installations folder.
That MUST be treated separately from Downloads where if you save the installation for a downloaded program and then run the installation setup - the downloaded file MAY remain in downloads.

The downloaded installation folder is

C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\

These folders contain the setup files of downloaded and installed applications and Windows updates. The last one contains the downloaded Windows updates, which are there in strange names without any extension. With most of those files you can add MSI or EXE and run them separately. Saving these files makes it possible to patch them on another Windows system or Windows setup files.

3. My ADVICE is LEAVE them alone.

phillpower2

My apologies for the interjection.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Phillpower2 -

Ran the search as instructed - nothing found.

No files have been deleted.

Also have run Malwarebytes and system was clean.

Edited by joseph456, 06 December 2011 - 06:09 PM.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Macboatmaster -

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this. I was just trying to create more space on my hard drive and found what I thought were unnecessary files. But if I may - all the files in the WINNT/Downloaded Installations are no longer on my system with dates ranging from 2004 to 2007 that's why I was wondering if I could delete them. See photo. Total is 52 mb

The other in the hidden file is a 42.1 mb file from 8/31/2010

I do heed your advice. I have deleted most of the tweaking tools and registry cleaners from my system.

Thanks again for your concern.

Attached Thumbnails

• Downloaded Installation Files2.JPG

Edited by joseph456, 06 December 2011 - 06:46 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The real answer is as in my previous post AND more importantly are you in need of 52Mb of space - bearing in mind that there are of course 1000Mb in ONE Gb.

The other in the hidden file is a 42.1 mb file from 8/31/2010

I cannot comment, except to say, that if you were to do a search, including hidden files and folders etc, you would find files, dated from when you installed the O/S - at least.

So the date is irrelevant.

If it is hidden as I said in my previous post - WHY

Is it not a hidden folder - I will stand corrected - but if it is may I ask - WHY are you looking - it is hidden to protect it.

There is basically, as far as you are concerned, and I do NOT in any way mean that with any disrespect ONLY one reason to be looking amongst hidden files and folders and that is IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM and you believe its source is to be found there.

LEAVE them, where they are.
If at some date in the future you have problems, there is ONE certainty - if you delete them they cannot EVER be used - for any recovery procedures - repair etc of the error.
If you leave them where they are, and they are not causing any problems - that is absolutely certain - then IF they are ever needed - they are there.

That all said, I am sorry, if you think I have overstated the point. In truth it is a last attempt to finally try and convince you to leave them ALONE.
However - ONLY because I consider that to be the best advice.

Finally even with the hidden one the TOTAL is only 94Mb.
To place that in some sort of comparison - have a look at the total size of your douments folder OR your Pictures folder.

As I said in my post 7.

I am posting ONLY to cover this ONE point. and only in view of the fact that I helped you on the other thread that started with the redX

I have only posted the reply - to cover your response

Macboatmaster - I appreciate you taking the time to look into this. I was just trying to create more space on my hard drive and found what I thought were unnecessary files. But if I may - all the files in the WINNT/Downloaded Installations are no longer on my system with dates ranging from 2004 to 2007 that's why I was wondering if I could delete them. See photo. Total is 52 mb

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Any idea why I would get the attached "AJAX" Error when running PC Pitstop. This is one of those downloads that I could not remove and I received it once when you were reviewing it. No error since, then two today then when I reran it it was ok. Have you ever seen this?

I know this is not a high priority and will appreciate your response when you have time.

Thanks for your help

joseph456
I have moved your post to this thread.
It is of no benefit to have two threads running, on the same issues, on the same computer.
It serves only to make the situation difficult, especially for YOU.
Macboatmaster

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Macboatmaster -

Thanks. It took awhile but I finally got the message. In fact, what I have learned from dealing with professionals such as yourself is an excellent lesson without the consequences. When in doubt "leave it alone."

Actually you have made it easier for me to maintain my system. No more scanning for files to delete, tweaking or boosting the system and no more registry cleaning or optimizing. And - eliminating all those programs creates a lot more space and makes the system run a lot more efficiently since they do not insist on monitoring the system and running in the background.

Thanks for being patient and making the effort to make your very valid points.

Edited by joseph456, 07 December 2011 - 08:40 PM.