Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

diagnosing a friend computer problem.

• Please log in to reply

MissSIlver

MissSIlver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Greetings y'all from Texas!

Built a few pc from used parts harvested on the free Craigslist, know my way around hardware, the type you can kick around if it doesn't work.

Mother in law told a friend and neighbor across the street that I could take a look at her dead laptop and tower. SHe bought both at best buy. The geek squad did her dirty 3 times over "dirty" to remain polite :angry:

She had a dv900 laptop which they (geeksquad) told her that had motherboard had fried. DIagnosed the problem through search, bad heatsink configuration, killed her video display. Then said the same thing about her hp pavillion p6210y pc. Motherboard fried. Screw her dumbnedd, I warned her not to do business with BB anymore.

I did gave her my word tho...

System specks

http://h10025.www1.h...product=4006020

Took her tower, plugged it in, booted up as it should (GS lied through their teeth) defragged her HD, ran Memtest 4.x for 64bit system, everything passed with flying color, no error. Decided to do her a favor before returning a perfectly working PC to the neighbor by uninstalling the norton anti virus utility, know a few people that had their pc/laptop behave erratically because of nort AV. During the previous diagnostic process, I was prompted to reboot a couple of times which happened with no problem. Uninstalled Norton, pc prompted to reboot then, the beeps of death occurred, one short and one long. According to HP, it is a RAM issue.

Uninstalled 3x2GB stick DDR2, tested them individually on each slots. It was a no go, keeps beeping one short one long. Unplugged all the cables connected to media card reader, dvd drive, usb ports, still no luck. I know for a fact that the mobo is not "fried" and have a hard time believing that an uninstall of norton AV would cause the PC not wanting to boot, cannot even access the bios.

I am stumped, went to the store today to get canned air in hopes of blowing the RAM slots.

Beyond this, what else if there left for me to do to spruce up the biatch tower? I am at a standstill, the mobo is still good, the PS still powers up the PC cooling fan and Processor/amd fan.

I am at a loss.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi MissSIlver and :welcome:
Can you try removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few minutes and then replace it (see .jpeg) this will restore the MBs default factory settings, any change?
Try removing all of the Ram and powering up, are the error beeps the same?
Is the MBs integrated video chip being used or an add on video card?
A PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V and if any one of them is bad you will get issues, the PSU may appear to be ok yet it is not working correctly but that said the error beeps may signify something else, an update from you may give us more clues.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the .jpeg :thumbsup:

MissSIlver

MissSIlver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well dusted the whole thing, including the ram slots, got the rams out to see what beep I would get and there was no beep. Then, placed back the rams, took out the battery. Waited 20 mins, replaced the battery and plugged it back it.

No beeps, the computer looks like it is on a continual reboot sequence, fans trun on, then off, then on, then off...

grrrr :angry: :upset: :confused:

It is an integrated video card.

Edited by MissSIlver, 04 December 2011 - 07:09 PM.

MissSIlver

MissSIlver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No reply eh?

Sigh...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Sorry for the delay however please understand we are volunteers and cannot be here all of the time due to other commitments <_<
No beep code can mean no power, a loose card, or a short and the initial one short and one long beep code may have been the result of bad power to the Ram slot/s, check that the MB power connections are secure, that there are no stray screws or bared wires and if you can try a known good working PSU and replacement CMOS battery.