Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is a smps same for both sata and pata hdd or cd drive?

• Please log in to reply

gillenq01

gillenq01

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have an old smps(3yrs) which i used to connect my pata hdd and dvd drive,will it work on my new pc which has only
sata ports?Also its 450 watts,my new pc requires maximum 430 watts,will my old smps be able to support my new pc.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

my new pc requires maximum 430 watts

I have never seen a "maximum" PSU requirement and frankly that would not make sense as a computer will only draw what it needs, not what the PSU is capable of delivering. For example, if the computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics, drives, etc) require 350W, it will draw from the PSU 350W regardless if it is a 450W PSU or a 850W PSU. And the PSU will draw from the wall just 350W (plus around 70W more due to normal PSU inefficiencies).

So I think we need some model numbers to verify.

If buying a new computer, I would get a new PSU from a reputable maker. PSUs naturally weaken as they age. Plus older PSUs may not have the necessary connectors so you would need to mess with adapters.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have an old smps(3yrs) which i used to connect my pata hdd and dvd drive,will it work on my new pc which has only sata ports?

Please provide the brand and model name or number of the power supply.

Also its 450 watts,my new pc requires maximum 430 watts,will my old smps be able to support my new pc

How do you know this, what are the details of the new PC custom build or brand name such as Dell, HP, Acer for example, if it is again provide the model name or number.

gillenq01

gillenq01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
By maximum i meant including capacitor aging,and also upgrading the parts in the future.So will it be same for pata
and sata hardisks?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

By maximum i meant including capacitor aging

Sorry, but that still does not make sense. While all PSUs suffer from capacitor, that has nothing to do with the "maximum" rating. Aging decreases the supply's capability.

Nevertheless, it does not change my recommendation - for a new PC, I recommend getting a new PSU. Save the old one for troubleshooting or testing fans.

gillenq01

gillenq01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
By the term maximuum,i meant calculating the amount required for future upgrades
And my main question was whether i require a differnt smps for sata or can i use the same one which i used to power up my pata

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Again there really is no such thing as maximum - except for what your budget will allow.

As for PSUs (the term smps is not commonly used when referring to computer power supplies) SATA and PATA drives do not require different PSUs. However, they use different power connectors. So if your old PSU does not have the type power connector used for SATA drives, you will need to buy adapters. You cannot calculate for future upgrades unless you know now what you will be upgrading to. You can, however, simply buy a larger PSU than you need now to ensure future proofing.

That said, as noted before, it is very possible your new computer will have greater power demands than your old computer. So more important than the connectors, the power capabilities must be enough to support your new hardware.

gillenq01

gillenq01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for your help man

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP