Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection starts & stops

• Please log in to reply

frmarine

frmarine

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm using a dlink network adapter(6 months old) on my pc, have always gotten an excellent signal. Main pc in house is hooked up to dlink dir-615 router & works fine. I had some bsod's recently & decided to reformat xp. Loaded the driver for the adapter, got an excellent signal, but couldn't access the net. The signal shows 4 green bars for about 20 seconds, then all white bars for a few seconds, then back to green. It keeps dropping the signal over & over. The network card shows its working properly. I did an ipconfig, and it says "media state disconnected" & shows no addresses. If the dlink adapter is faultly then i'm assuming it wouldn't work in the first place. I'm thinking its some setting not right in the pc. The reformat went fine, loaded all the drivers in the right order. I only have IE for a browser which i need to access the net with to load firefox & all other programs plus service pack 3 & other xp updates back on with. When i loaded the driver for the dlink adapter, i used a different workgroup/name than the network name originally used to set up the dlink router if that means anything. I can't figure it out. I've read about resetting the winsock which i'm going to try, but i would think that wouldn't be it since i just reformatted the pc. I REALLY need to get this pc working again, any help MUCH appreciated. I'll be more than happy to come back & give more info if needed.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

i used a different workgroup/name than the network name originally used to set up the dlink router if that means anything

Possibly - by this do you mean you have manually specified a network name that is different from the broadcast SSID? If so this won't work.

Also, it could be fun trying it - but you need to get SP3 back on there ASAP. See if you can move the computer to where you can get a wired connection (even just temporarily) so all the updates are back up to scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if this fixed the problem.

Cheers

frmarine

frmarine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
THANX for the reply. I logged on monday, ready to call dlink tech support to see if they could help, and i didn't have to. The wireless signal indicator was showing all green bars & it stayed that way for longer than 20 seconds, so i clicked on IE icon & was able to get on the net. Have no idea why it worked but its still going. I downloaded firefox, loaded all my saved bookmarks, then xp sp3 along with other xp updates & other programs i use to have. Can't figure out why the signal was going on & off, but i'll give it another day or two to keep working before i stop worrying about it just to make sure.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Possibly could have been interference?

frmarine

frmarine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Beats me, i have no idea what caused it but its still going. THANX again.