Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wanted: (special kind of) online video conferencing software

• Please log in to reply

mg_for_jc

mg_for_jc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone!

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum! In case it isn't, please do excuse my ignorance - this is, after all, my very first post on here.

I'm looking for a very specific kind of online video conferencing software which I couldn't find so far - no matter how hard I looked.

What I need is for 2 users to be able to exchange video and audio information in real time, while MANY passive listeners watch/hear what is being said, without having permission to actually interfere in the conversation (or interact with each other).

While there are hundreds of thousands of video-conference programs around, I couldn't find any single one able to accommodate LARGE numbers of "listeners" (up to, I don't know, 100-200 or so). Most of the ones I managed to find accept up to 7 or 15 participants - which actually makes sense, since they do not distinguish between users with a right to talk and those without it.

So to put it this way: what I am trying to achieve needed is more resembling of a TV-station than a traditional video conference.

There are two more things I'd also like, if they were possible:
- the ability to generate or just to set a unique password to each of those non-participating listeners (kind of important, but in fact, also secondary to the rest, TBH).
- not requiring those listeners to install any additional HDD-based program to view our "conferences", but instead having them be accessible from most regular browsers (quite unimportant, really).

It being free is NOT a requirement - I wouldn't mind paying good money for something like this, especially if the software happens to be reliable and of high-quality.

Does anyone know of any such software I might use? Pleaaaase! :D

Edited by mg_for_jc, 06 December 2011 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i don't know about those software because i think it's rare to use

anyway i heard about a one from Adobe that is very good contact them for further information

anyway wanted to tell that 100-200 Listener is a large number to make them interact for instance
the chat room will be crowded if all of those started asking question and you will lose control of the
lecture
so you also want to look for question queuing feature of the program so thing wont get out of control

mg_for_jc

mg_for_jc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there,

Thanks a lot for the info! And for trying to help out! :D

I don't want the listeners to be able to interact with each other in any way though. That's why I wrote "without having permission to actually interfere in the conversation". So that's not gonna be a problem at all! :)

Seems like most people missed that part though (I posted the same question on some other forums as well - I'm in the middle of doing some heavy research work on the subject right now :D), so I'll make it more clear in the original post - off to edit it right now. :)

Edited by mg_for_jc, 06 December 2011 - 07:38 PM.

infoaliasgar

infoaliasgar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It appears video conferencing vendors such Polycom best meet your needs because of video quality. If you can have some comprise over video quality but need more functions on sales presentation, we may look into web conferencing equipment such as RHUB web conferencing appliances.