Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Good gaming laptop that can handle swtor?

• Please log in to reply

wolfyx5

wolfyx5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello I intend to get a laptop because i am moving a lot can cant bring the desktop with me everywhere so i have to get a laptop even though they are not the best for games so lets discuss my options and not why laptops have issues with games, heating issues etc

Generally i want it to play swtor as good as possible and maybe be able to
I have no interested in graphic games like crisis etc or newer games so the main uses of the pc will be internet/school/old games/swtor and maybe some new games like mass effect 3. So i dont need to worry if it gets outdated very soon as long as i can play swtor at high settings without any fps issue and can play some newer games without fps issues at low settings at least.

The amount i can spend on it is somewhere around 1000 so I would really like suggestions from experts since if i go alone i ll probably get a crappy expensive computer since there are 123721 gaming laptop sites...

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, here is my opinion on that. There is no such thing as a good gaming notebook (laptops should NEVER be used on the lap so I prefer to say notebook).

The reason there is no such thing as a good gaming notebook is simple really. Notebooks are very powerful, proprietary computers jammed into tiny boxes. Gaming is about the most demanding task we can ask of our computers. As such, heat management is a major issue. Full size desktops computer cases with multiple large case fans are challenged to provide enough cool air flow through the case to keep the components inside cool during serious gaming. There is no way a tiny notebook case can support or provide that cooling capability.

PC cases can easily be opened by the normal user to expose the interior for easy and thorough cleaning of heat trapping dust. Notebooks cases are proprietary in nature and do not allow normal users to open the cases for thorough cleaning - so heat trapping dust buildup is inevitable.

The result is notebook/mobile CPUs, designed with special thermal protection features, in conjunction with notebook motherboards, regularly toggle down in speed to prevent thermal damage.

That's just the nature of notebooks - in spite of what their marketing weenies would like us to believe, they do NOT make good gaming machine, nor do they make good "desktop replacements".

So I realize you didn't want to hear any that, but I don't give my advice without giving my opinion. I note the following SWTOR System Requirements are a good place to start.

wolfyx5

wolfyx5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well i understand the issues but arent there any that have better cooling systems?

Anyway i cant get a desktop since i am moving around a lot so the only choice is to try get a good laptop and thats why i asked here because i know very little of computer hardware to be able to see its efficiency/price ratio and if i dont get any help i ll probably get a very expensive weak computer xD.

Mainly i am interested in those recommended swtor requirements but there are so many options its quite hard to choose from, plus i dont know whats the equivalent speed of a dual core to a quad core or what graphic card is better and generally many things. Mainly i just need to get a laptop that can handle games well, preferably with good cooling. It doesnt matter if it gets outdated fast as long as i can play swtor at high without any issues and can maybe play later games at low/medium with no fps issues as well.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor 2.4GHz or better
AMD Phenom 2 X4 Quad-core 2.5GHz or better

RAM: 4GB RAM or higher

Video: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4850 or better
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or better
512MB minimum video RAM
Shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card
Latest drivers for your video card

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

but arent there any that have better cooling systems?

Well, considering a good cooling system in a PC consists of at least two 120mm 12V case fans, and another fan in the power supply - and notebook maker's constant desire to make notebooks thinner and lighter, then no, not really.

As far as your other issues, with notebook makers being so competitive, generally speaking, you get what you paid for. But you also need to make some personal decisions first - most importantly is the screen size. And then you need to decide how important weight is.