Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Crashing HD's

• Please log in to reply

Serium

Serium

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

A while back, maybe 6 months ago or so I had a hard drive crash (WD). It was only a logical crash so I was able to recover the data. The drive was only 4 or 5 months old. It was odd to loose the drive, but hey I figure I was the one guy who got the funky drive.

Anyway, now a few nights ago the replacement drive (Maxtor) for that drive is starting to show signs that it will crash. My PC has two HD's, the replacement drive (Maxtor) was my Windows drive originally. This drive was big so I just moved it down to slave and grabbed a smaller drive (Not Inportant) I had around for a new Windows installation (Master).

This seems odd to me, to loose to HD's in the same IDE position. Now My question is..could a Bad Power Supply be the culpret of this?

That is my best guess. If sois there any tool I can use to test this?

thanks for you help,

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Its possible the psu isnt suppling enough power but im not sure how to test it.

you can test the hardrive with this http://www.maxtor.co...&downloadID=113