Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM/PC Video Games/MS Outlook all work but browsers don't.

• Please log in to reply

demonflame5

demonflame5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Last weekend my internet browsers refused to work on all 5 desktops and laptops in my house. However, AIM, videogames, and microsoft outlook were all working. My iPad's internet browser doesn't work, my Wii's internet browser doesn't work either. However, on my Wii, I can go to the Wii Shop Channel to purchase games which also means that it's connected.

I connected my modem directly into my laptop using an ethernet cable to remove the router and vonage from the network. What happened was that my browsers worked for 2 minutes and then they stopped working. I would call Comcast technical support to troubleshoot. I called them at least 10 times and they would reset the modem. After they reset the modem the internet browsers would be up for about 2 minutes and then go down again before it stopped working.

I went to Comcast to replace the modem, and after I set it up it still didn't work, but after an hour I reset the modem again and the internet browsers were working once more for about a week.

A week later (today), the internet browsers went down again. I tried everything. Comcast technicians says there's nothing wrong and it's a computer issue but I refuse to believe that. How could 5 PC's, iPad, Wii, and iPhone internet browsers all refuse to work at the same time? I tried using different coaxial cables and different ethernet cables but nothing works.

I couldn't find a single other topic related to this issue, browsers don't work on any device that utilizes the network but other programs do such as video games (warcraft 3), Wii Shop Channel, Aol Instant Messenger, and Microsoft Outlook.

My deduction believes that there is some internal configuration in the modem that prevents access to web browsers. But I honestly don't know how modem works.

I would switch to a different ISP but there are no other ones that are as fast as Comcast. DSL is far too slow and there isn't fiber optics in my neighborhood.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Port issues. Usually a router failure. It can only be a router or ISP failure if 5 PCs, am iPad, iPhone and a Wii all have the same issue.
The reason the other programs work is by default they work on different ports, whereas the web browsers work on Port 80. Outlook will work on Port 110 for incoming mail and port 25 for outgoing mail. The messengers tend to port hope, as will probably the video games and the Wii channel.

demonflame5

demonflame5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How come the same problem occurs when I connect my laptops directly into the modem?

This problem happens every weekend and it happened again this weekend and went away today.