Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not opening programs/downloading software

• Please log in to reply

strope411

strope411

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Good Afternoon,

I seem to be getting a message every time I want to open a program a window pops up and asks "Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" It will them recommend Adobe Reader 9.4 or Firefox. I can browse for other programs but I really don't know what I'm looking for. I have had malware issues before (3 teenage kids) and had previously downloaded mbam, etc. When I browse and choose the mbam program a new window pops up and states :

Consent UI for administrative applications stopped working and was closed
A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

I also tried to download all three OTL versions and each time they would show on my desktop but when I tried to open them windows stated the following:

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\OTL.com
The extended attributes are inconsistent

I get this message regularly when downloading software.

I am running Windows Vista 64(?) on a HP Pavilion dv2000

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Advertisements

strope411

strope411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I would like to add that I am now getting a warning from Windows stating that there is an issue with my hard drive. I am not sure if this is a legitimate warning. It asks me if I want to backup my files and attempt to repair the disk. Now I'm really starting to panic . I write my lesson plans on this pc and don't know what to do. Thanks.