Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer struggles to boot - recurring problem

• Please log in to reply

ZMoney187

ZMoney187

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My circa 2007 computer struggles to boot. When I turn on the power the fans start up but it does not POST. There is no beep and it shuts down, and then it tries to start up again. It does this indefinitely until I flip the switch on the back. I had this problem once before and I took replaced the RAM and that seemed to fix the problem. However, I tried that this time and it did not work. Then I plugged the computer into a different outlet and it booted with no problems (1 quick beep), but I received a message in red from the BIOS that said something along the lines of "previous overclocking failed, press any key except DEL to enter setup (I have never tried to overclock anything). At this point I entered setup and saved changes and had no problems. However, after I naively shut down the computer, the problem occurred again and now no matter how many times I switch out the RAM or plug it into different outlets around the house, it fails to boot. I running an Intel core 2 QUAD 2.40 ghz and a GeForce 460 with a 750 watt Corsair PSU. I am certain this is somehow a power problem but the configuration worked for a long time before this started.

Advertisements

ZMoney187

ZMoney187

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATE: This was really freaking me out so I took it to Best Buy. The technician plugged it in and it booted up fine. I suppose the conclusion is that there is something wrong with my entire house's electrical system? If anyone with electrician knowledge reads this, please post your professional opinion.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This proves very little except it may be a PSU, Motherboard, CPU or Memory issue also. Coming to the conclusion it is a entire house with electrical problems is really far fetched at this point.
I suggest when you get the system up and running to let us know so we can run some diagnostics on the components first. First I would suggest checking the PSU by doing the following.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Then I plugged the computer into a different outlet and it booted with no problems

The technician plugged it in and it booted up fine

As my colleague rshaffer61 has said

Coming to the conclusion it is a entire house with electrical problems is really far fetched at this point.

I cannot view it as anything other than what rshaffer61 has said and possibly in the light of the experience at Best Buy a transient fault in a component in the PSU or other hardware.
However and I stress it is ONLY a VERY VERY slight chance - is the computer connected to the AC power through an anti-surge bar.
If so connect direct to AC