Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I keep getting disconnected and the only way to

• Please log in to reply

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Firstly can i say hello to all members of these boards. Nice to meet you all, im new to these boards so please bear with my while i get my feet. :tazz:

My problem is this, I am with AOL and i seem to have problems when i download things. I use Azerous too download stuff and it seems to work fine. But some times in the middle of downloading things the broadband will disconnect and wont let me connect again. I have to reinstall my AOL software and then i can succesfully get back online. This has also happened when im not downloading, but i dont know what the problem is???

When i go to run ant type in eventvwr and go to system i always have some red circles with white crosses in them, they say error and the source is W32Time. When i click on it it says

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

It does it quite regularily but always has this twice just before it disconnects.

Also under application it has some that say warning, userenv. When i click on that it says,

Windows saved user ******************registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Can anyone help me with this problem please as its driving me mad having to install the AOL software almost daily. Many Thanks in advance. ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
last first
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

that will clear up the hive problem--you should see windows shut down a little faster.

The other issue is common (though I doubt it is your real problem) with about a zillion computers trying to update their times all the time. Double click your clock in the lower right hand corner, choose the INTERNET TIME tab, and uncheck "AUTOMATICALLY SYNCHRONIZE..." then click OK

Let's see if you still get the disconnect. I suspect you will,

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.

First I need you to read and install the files HERE.
Follow the recommended configurations,settings and updates for each applications.

RUN in the following order in Safe Mode:
1. Run Ad-Aware
2. Run CWShredder
3. Run Spybot S&D
4. Run CleanUp at least twice

Even the best antispyware programs are only able to remove about 70% of infections. Also, the line between spyware and trojans is getting blurred. You can never be too careful with these, I recommend at least one online scan.

Now, REBOOT in Normal Mode and have an On-line scan at this sites: Trend Micro or Panda Scan.
Also try a Trojan Scan.
REBOOT again.

If the scans indicate your are clear from malicious programs, try changing your browser to Firefox.

You are safe for two reasons. First, most people use Internet Explorer, so most malicious code is custom built to exploit it. Second, Opera's and Mozilla's programmers take security very seriously and have made these browsers very secure. It is not possible to install software from a web site using these browsers without at least seeing a prompt of some sort asking permission. As long as the user exercises enough common sense not to approve a software installation that appears out of nowhere, there will no problem.

If you are still experiencing problem with the new browser, then we'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool HijackThis and post a log as a new topic in the HijackThis Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for all your suggestions people.

Ok, here we go.

After running ad-aware i had 66 dodgy files come up.
Under vendor was tracking, type was IE CACHE, category was Data Miner, Object c/Documents&settings

Then i ran CW Shredder and nothing came up.

Then search and destroy. I got 5 entries come up on this one, CoolWWWsearch.

I ran cleanup twice, the first time it cleared 178mb of space and the second time nothing.

Now i followed your advice and i have not deleted anything yet, i have quarentined the 66 files with the adaware, but left the others how they are.

I did as the first guy said to do also, now i am just gonna wait for someadvice on whether i should delet anything. Many thanks again.

Edited by TDNOONE, 02 June 2005 - 06:22 AM.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Is this for an adsl modem? If it is, go see if you have a line filter at your wall, if you do, remove it and just plug the phone line directly into the wall.

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No its a cable modem mate. But it does not run through a phone line, its goes through our NTL box.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ahh, okay, you might want to listen to kool808s post and post a HJT log in the malware forums. To clean stuff up..

GL

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
hello mate,

okies here we go, when you ran ad-aware and discovered several bogus files in there did you right-click then select all, then press next? In spybot did you put a check mark on all red items you found then selected fix selected problems?
* Please re-run CWShredder, be sure to click update first.
* then close it so the update takes place, then re-open it again.
* click Fix ->
* then close it.
  • ok, now open HijackThis
  • go to config
  • then Misc Tools
  • under system tools, click Uninstall manager
  • click Save List
  • click back
now close all windows, except HijackThis then press scan. Save the log and post it at Malware Forum.

It will get a better response in there.

Edited by kool808, 02 June 2005 - 08:16 AM.

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

when you ran adware and discovered several bogus files in there did you right-click then select all, then press next?

View Post

I didn't do that, once i read it i just clocked qurantine files and that was all.

In spybot did you put a check mark on all red items you found then selected fix selected problems?

View Post

I didnt do anything in spybot, i wrote down the 5 entries and then just exited it.

Please re-run CWShredder

View Post

Just about to, cheers mate.

Advertisements

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just did wht you said on CWshredder and it did the same as before, all was fine.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Okies you need to run all those scans again from the beginning except the cleanup. But first open Ad-aware then click the big yellow padlock icon at the top, that says quarantine manager, select all then DELETE. Re-run Spybot, scan then select all red then click fix selected items.

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
After i ran HJT. click here.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Thats very good, :tazz:

Now please be patient while your results are being examined. Someone will be along to assist you, there are more than 16,000+ members with the same problems, so your cooperations is greatly appreciated.

TDNOONE

TDNOONE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ive just done all that you said mate, but now ive deleated that will it be better to another HJT scan and show them results instead, or will those files that i deleated make no difference to the HJT scan?

I am very happy to wait my friend, Thanks for all your help :tazz: