Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rootkit - Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
No dice. In the system tray, instead of the icon of the pc's with an "!", it is the pcs with the bouncing yellow ball trying to connect symbol. AFD still not in device manager.

I saw this and was wondering if there is an validity to it:

aussie Apr 14, 2009 1:11am BST
when going to non-plug and play drivers I dont have AFD Networking Support Environment. I have ancilliary function driver for winsock. it just doesnt work.

cpo312 Jul 9, 2009 6:10pm BST
I had similar problem recently and i tried everything to no luck. so what i finally did was to stop all the services. I
run>type services.msc>enter. in services un-check all the boxes and select 'enable all services '. All sevices are stopped. Restart your system and voila! all services that could not be turned on before got started. I was able to connect back to the internet. Good luck.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Start, Run regedit, OK
Locate the Start value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD
In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click the value Start.
Type 2 in the Data box, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor. Reboot.

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Done. No change.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Let's see if we can by-pass the DHCP process.

On the good PC. Start, (ALL) Programs, Accessories, (WIN7 and Vista, Right click on ) Command Prompt (Win7 and Vista Run as Admin). Type with an Enter after the line:

ipconfig

(Note the ip address assigned to this PC. Note the mask (probably 255.255.255.0) and the default gateway.)

Now go back to the sick PC.

1. Click "Start," click "Control Panel," click "Network and Internet Connections," and then click "Network Connections."
2. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure (the one you use to connect to the Internet), and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and then click "Properties."

4. In the next window. Click on Use the Following IP Address and put in the same information except add 100 to the last number in the ip address. (If it was 192.168.0.33 then make it 192.168.0.133). The mask and default gateway should be the same as the good PC.
5. Click "Use the following DNS server addresses," and then type 8.8.8.8 in the Preferred DNS server and 4.2.2.1 in the Alternate DNS server boxes.

6. Click "OK"

Reboot.

Start, Run, cmd, OK

ipconfig

(does it say what you put in? Let's say the ip of the default gateway was 192.168.0.1 then we want to ping the gateway so we type)

ping 192.168.0.1

(does it work?)

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Under my Network Connections I have:
1394 Connection 2 and
Local Area Connection 2.

I am guessing that Local area Connection 2 would be my cable modem connection(?)

I made the changes under Local Area Connection 2 and they were saved in the ipconfig under 'Ethernet adapter for Local Area Connection2'.

Pinged (pang? hah) the default and the statistics were: Sent-4 Received-4 Lost-0 etc...

there is now no pc icon in the system tray.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
If you can ping the gateway and not lose any you have connectivity. You can run a few more tests from the command prompt:

nslookup att.com

If it tells you:
Name: att.com
Addresses: 144.160.155.43

Then you should be able to get on line with firefox or IE or Chrome or whatever browser you have.

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
***Can't find server name for address 8.8.8.8. No response from server
" " " " " 4.2.2.1. " " " " "
" " Default servers are not available
etc

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
From a command prompt:

tracert  -d  8.8.8.8

Do you get something like looks like this (with different numbers and ip addresses):

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.11.1
2 16 ms 17 ms 18 ms 184.157.249.1
3 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 209.206.160.4
4 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms 208.110.249.212
5 18 ms 18 ms 19 ms 206.51.69.141
6 18 ms 41 ms 18 ms 206.51.71.70
7 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 209.85.249.34
8 20 ms 19 ms 20 ms 66.249.94.201
9 27 ms 28 ms 28 ms 216.239.46.200
10 25 ms 25 ms 26 ms 64.233.174.129
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 27 ms 26 ms 26 ms 8.8.8.8

Trace complete.

or more like this:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

If the first ping worked then it should get to the default gateway on the first step unless there is a firewall involved (other than Windows)

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It seemed to have worked. It didn't time out and the result is like the above.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
uninstall Online Armor

then see if you can connect with a browser.

Advertisements

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Uninstalled but still no browser connection. Pc icon not in system tray.
I was wondering if it was Online Armor myself...it seemed to have been a bit quirky lately.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. Type with an Enter after each line in the code box:

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh  winsock  reset catalog

netsh  int ip reset reset.log

(I use two spaces in the code box so you will be sure to see where 1 space goes.)

Reboot and test. This will probably undo our manual assignment of IP addresses so you may need to go back in and redo them but first see what happens after a reboot.

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Done. After reboot no connection. Entered in the Local Area Connection the same input as before. Also entered the DNS #'s as 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.1 again and restarted. No connection and a 'Windows - System Error There is an IP adress conflict with another system on the network' warning in the tray.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Change the IP address by adding 1 to the last number.

MaxMurder

MaxMurder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
No luck after adding 1. also added 100 to the last number like we did before...still nothing. Nothing in system tray either time.

Also...still no AFD in Device Manager

Edited by MaxMurder, 12 December 2011 - 10:39 PM.