Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help - fans, LEDs, but no display

• Please log in to reply

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Not sure what happened, but the CPU must be the problem.

When I took it out to have a look, all the pins below it in the motherboard's socket are bent to the center...I'm going to try and repair them, but failing that I may need a new motherboard. I'm just not sure how it happened...

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

If you have not already removed the heat-sink and fan from the CPU. do not do so at the moment.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not sure what happened, but the CPU must be the problem.

When I took it out to have a look, all the pins below it in the motherboard's socket are bent to the center...I'm going to try and repair them, but failing that I may need a new motherboard. I'm just not sure how it happened...

Ouch!
You have to be very careful but it is possible to straighten the pins without snapping them.
A propeller type pencil can be used, empty out all of the lead, press the button down, slide it over a pin, release the button and gently draw the pencil upwards to straighten the pin, do this and I will come back to you this evening 1700hrs UK time.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Think I need a new motherboard. =/
I took a few hours and did my best to straighten the pins, but I can't get the processor to lock in. There's a metal socket that locks the CPU on top of the pins (looks kind of like a mouse trap), and it keeps popping up...doesn't want to stay down. It doesn't look like the pins are being bent further, but it just won't stay on.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Man, I think I may have just actually ruined this motherboard and still not know the problem...
I was just browsing the net and found this site. If you scroll down a bit, there's a picture of the guy's CPU socket. All of the pins are bent slightly towards the middle. That's how they are supposed to be? I just straightened all mine out because I thought they weren't supposed to be bent. Man, what a disaster this experience is, heh.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Is the CPU in the correct orientation?
The CPU socket may have a corner cut away and the processor itself a gold corner and these must correspond.

There's a metal socket that locks the CPU on top of the pins

Is this to the side of the CPU socket? If yes then there should be a groove that the locking arm clips under, check this out without the CPU in place.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah, the triangles match up. And yes, there's an arm that locks under a screw, but I guess the pins are fitting right, because the socket keeps popping open.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Man, I think I may have just actually ruined this motherboard and still not know the problem...
I was just browsing the net and found this site. If you scroll down a bit, there's a picture of the guy's CPU socket. All of the pins are bent slightly towards the middle. That's how they are supposed to be? I just straightened all mine out because I thought they weren't supposed to be bent. Man, what a disaster this experience is, heh.

I think you will find it is an optical illusion!

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Gotcha. Well, thanks much for your help! I think I may buy a new motherboard at Microcenter and see if I can bring my PSU and processor and ask them to help me test it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Yeah, the triangles match up. And yes, there's an arm that locks under a screw, but I guess the pins are fitting right, because the socket keeps popping open.

Im going to try and find some pictures of your MB so I can understand what you mean, back shortly.

Are you following the instructions as directed on page 14?
http://download.giga...x-ud3h-b3_e.pdf

Step 4:
Once the CPU is properly inserted, use one hand to hold the socket lever and use the other to lightly replace the load plate. When replacing the load plate, make sure the front end of the load plate is under the shoulder screw.

Step 5:
Push the CPU socket lever back into its locked position

Advertisements

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yup, I tried that, but the plate just kept popping out from under the screw. Not exactly sure where I went wrong, but I will probably get a new motherboard and maybe find a pro to help me. I've learned a lot more about computers by doing this, but I think the increasing potential cost of getting this thing working is now more important than the learning experience. Oh well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Consider taking the board and CPU to a Tech store, at least you will know if there is an issue and the cost will be cheaper than a new purchase if the present items turn out to be ok, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just an update:

Got the new motherboard. I tested it with just the PSU and processor and it didn't do anything, but then I added a stick of RAM and it booted. I then installed everything into the case and again I can't get a signal to the monitor. Just one short beep from the internal speaker. I guess I need to take it apart again and try adding it one piece at a time...man, what a pain!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Got the new motherboard. I tested it with just the PSU and processor and it didn't do anything,

What do you mean it didn`t do anything? Fans not turning etc? It certainly wouldn`t boot up.

I then installed everything into the case and again I can't get a signal to the monitor.

This suggests a problem with your case be it the power switch not working, the MB shorting possibly by a stand off in the wrong place.

I guess I need to take it apart again and try adding it one piece at a time

Definitely, remember post #2

remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate (unless there is a power test button on the MB) you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component,

And

if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Think I have the problem. I left everything in the case and decided to try removing one thing at a time. After removing the video card, it successfully posted. Upon inspection, the card looks like it has some kind of residue or damage or something...tried getting it off with rubbing alcohol and no good, so maybe not residue. Anyway, I guess I need to get a new one...but hopefully that will be the last of my problems.

http://imageshack.us...videocardx.jpg/

Edited by Blueshoe, 13 December 2011 - 04:03 PM.