Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio using Windows 7 stopped connecting to Internet

• Please log in to reply

voken

voken

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My Sony Vaio all-in-one-desktop is not connecting to Internet. Its on Windows 7..I have been using this for close to 3 years and was working fine all these years, and suddenly stopped connecting to Internet starting 2 days back. I tried every option but couldn't connect. I know these is no issue with my fios router/modem as I can connect to Internet using my iPad just fine..

When I try trouble shooting, it says 'Wireless capability is turned off' !!! buit its on, so not sure what the problem is about ?

Options I tried:
a) Checked the wireless switch to make sure its ON
b) Uninstalled the drivers (LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI) and when rebooted it installed the driver back, but still couldn't connect
c) Tried the winsock, ipv4 and ipv6 tcp/ip resets as well, but didn't help
d) When I did a ipconfig all it says is media disconnected !!

Appreciate your help on this !!

Attached Thumbnails

• sony1.jpg
  • sony2.jpg
  • sony3.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi voken and :welcome:

When I try trouble shooting, it says 'Wireless capability is turned off' !!! buit its on

What do you mean its on, your screenshot tells us it is off.
Have you checked in the BIOS that it has not somehow become disabled or the Device Manager to see if the adapter has a yellow ! or red X against it?
What else do you have connected to the PC?

voken

voken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Phillpower, thanks for the response.

Yes, I did check the device manager before (I am at work, so can't send the snapshot). I even tried going to Device manager -> uninstalled the network adaptor "LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI" and did a reboot which detected and installed that adaptor back again...but that didn't help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
What about checking in the BIOS to see if it is enabled and is the correct device driver being installed?
I also asked what else do you have connected to the PC ethernet for example?

voken

voken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am back home from work..

I don't have anything connected to the PC right now. I had a printer connected via USB but I took that off as well.
Sorry, not sure how to check in the BIOS !!

voken

voken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok...googled and got into BIOS mode, but not sure what to check for. I don't see anything related to Adaptor on the bios menu....pls help !

voken

voken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Another update:

I tried with LAN (cabled) as well and it didn't work....

I logged onto my router (192.168.1.1) to check on all connections and I could see my IPad, IPhone as connected devices ! And I tried my friends macbook and it got connected and as well showed up on my router config.

Y'day I went to bestbuy and bought a Netgear N150 USB wireless adaptor and tried that as well...I installed teh s/w, plugged in the USB adaptor, connected to my wireless, keyed in WAP password, it shows green signal and all..but can't connect to Internet !!!!!!!!!! could only see outgoing packets but nothing incoming !!!

I don't know what, but seems some setting on my desktop PC is blocking connecting to internet.

Any help please !!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello voken

I tried with LAN (cabled) as well and it didn't work....

Can I please ask, you did not attempt gong on-line until you had ensured that you had anti-virus protection did you!
Are you connected to the ethernet (phone line ) at present?

I don't know what, but seems some setting on my desktop PC is blocking connecting to internet.

This may possibly be your firewall protecting your system

voken

voken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Phill.

I was able to get my Nergear USB Wireless adaptor to get working !!! Before when I tried this external Netgrear adaptor I was keying in the WEP key at the "Passphrase" location but later I came to know that I should enter the password at the "Enetr the key manually"-> "Key 1" location !!!! (please see a snapshot attached).. It started working once I switched where I was keying in the password :)

But still I couldn't figure out why its not taking in the inbuilt LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI adaptor. Now since I have internet I'll try if I can upgrade s/w and see if I can deep dive into fixing this :)

Thanks again for all your support !!

voken

voken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
forgot the attachement !!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Netgear.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi voken
Thank you for your update :thumbsup:
Your IP set up is different but not totally dissimilar to that of ours in the UK, mine for example would require me to input an SSID password on initial install, this is provided by the IP and usually in the form of a credit card sized document, your equivalent is a passphrase.

But still I couldn't figure out why its not taking in the inbuilt LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI adapter.

Your computer will not do both, I for example have an onboard Marvel Yukon network adapter on a desktop but use a Belkin wireless dongle to connect as it is more efficient, the add on adapter automatically overides the onboard card in this instance, another example of this would be if you were connected to a telephone (ethernet) line, as these are permanently available it would activate before your wireless function and so disable it.
If you by chance have further issues check the status of your card in the Device Manager, go to Start, Control Panel, Device Manager then network adapters, check the status of the intended device and if there is a problem you may get either a yellow ! or a red X.
I hope that the above is the information that you require but if not please let us know.