Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Router Problems

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alright. I've had the WNDR4000 for about 3 months now, and it has worked brilliantly until the other night. For no apparent reason at all, while the household was asleep, it just stopped receiving an internet connection from the modem. I did the normal power cycle on modem, router, and even my laptop out of desperation, but nothing has changed. Here are the things I've noticed.

1.) The modem itself is sending a signal. When plugged directly into my laptop, I can connect, but through the router I can't.

2.) All my router settings seem to be the same, though nobody would be able to change anything in the first place due to non-default passwords.

3.) While viewing the router settings, the IP is listing as, stating it's not receiving a signal from the same modem and cable that work fine in my laptop.

4.) There hasn't been a firmware update that I know of, so I don't believe that's the problem, but I'll be attempting a rollback after this (For now let's assume that's not it)

I've attempted several things; Powercycling modem/router/pc. Using the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew commands, restoring the router to factory settings with the reset button, and attempting to start over.

My largest fear here is that my router just magically broke the other night, which is a scary though considering how knew (and expensive) it is/was. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :D

IMPORTANT EDIT~ I've also tried an older WNR2000 router and that doesn't work either.

Edited by SgtSama, 07 December 2011 - 06:28 PM.