Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after updating windows

• Please log in to reply

mlpjd

mlpjd

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was recently infected by some malware. A kind soul here helped me clean up my computer and now it seems to working just fine. I did take his advice, though, and completely updated windows. I hadn't done so in the past mainly because I was on a dial up connection and downloading those service packs takes forever and day on dial up. I now have HDSL and a completely updated computer (as far as I can tell). Unfortunately, the sound on my laptop stopped working after I installed Service Pack 2. The sound works again when I run the second Microsoft troubleshooter on this website: http://windows.micro...und-in-windows. But when I turn off the laptop, it stops working again (and I run the troubleshooter again to kick start it). I'm looking for a permanent solution. Windows says I have the most updated driver software for my sound card. Any ideas?

MLPJD

Advertisements

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Troubleshooter

My link was cut off in my last post for some reason. Here it is again. Hopefully this one works.

Edited by mlpjd, 08 December 2011 - 09:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi mlpjd

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Pitstop Results

I think I followed your instructions. Hopefully you can get to my results from the link provided. Thanks so much for your help.

MLPJD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Worked fine thanks, I recommend that you uninstall the present driver and install them afresh, google Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller drivers for those and http://www.conexant....ntry.jsp?id=558 for audio, save them to your desktop, uninstall the previous drivers, reboot and make sure no traces of the previous drivers can be found then install the new drivers.
If you go to the Software Tab you will see that a lot of your software has not been updated since 2006 including Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 (1.6.0.0) Sun Microsystems, Inc. 11/30/06 and this will cause you problems, update your java now before moving on, you have a fair amount of updating to do as well as the recommended suggested fixes which I will help you with once everything is updated.
You can download 2 drivers a day for free from http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm not quite sure how to update things unless something asks me "Do you want to update now?" I tried to update Java from the Control Panel, but I don' think I was successful.

I did, however, somehow manage to restore sound to my system. I was trying to figure out how to find the driver for the Texas Instruments thing you asked me to uninstall and reinstall the driver for. From Control Panel, I went to "change", thinking maybe I could find more information that way. It installed something and suddenly the sound started working, even after a reboot. So it appears my initial problem is fixed!

Is it hard to update things? I'm not opposed, just not sure what I am doing.

Thanks
MLPJD

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Quick status update on Java. I went to the Java website and downloaded Java 6 Update 29. It is now showing up in my Control Panel, Program and Features, but so is the old Java, which is called Java SE Runtime Environment 6.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
It depends what you are attempting to update as to how you go about, drivers for example can be done in the Device Manager by right clicking on the item and choosing the Update/Install Driver option (Dependant on your OS) and with software it may be done by following an on screen prompt such as what you are aware of but you can also do a product search such as http://www.oracle.co...es-1394870.html this is a later java update than the one you recently installed.
I am pleased that your sound is working correctly now, if you cannot say what you did I also cannot guess either, you may have simply loaded the driver, it is important that you know in case the issue happens again, do not change anything but go to Start, Control Panel, Device Manager, Sound/video and game controllers, click on the + sign and let us know what is listed!
For future reference it is important to keep software up to date and Java in particular as it is an important part of Flashplayer, video in general and 3D affects etc.

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Philpower2. Sorry to respond so late. I've got family visiting from out of the country, and we are travelling for Christmas. I won't be working through your suggestions until January. I really, really appreciate your time and wanted you to know I'm not ignoring you. Be patient with me, and I'll have time to work on this soon. I really want to fix my computer. BTW, the sound went out again, interestingly apparently after an update from my sound card. Talk to you in January!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
No worries when you are ready and thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:

Advertisements

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Is it too late to start working on this again? Sorry for my long absence. I still have the sound card problem, and I'd like to fix it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will notify Phill and let him know for you.

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi again mlpjd

Can you please advise us of anything that you may have tried or of any changes in the problem, can you also provide us with an updated PCPitstop test please.

Thanks for advising Ron :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are both welcome and I am watching the topic also just in case I might be able to add to it. :whistling: