Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after updating windows

• Please log in to reply

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't done really anything to fix the sound card issue. I've been trying to update things on my computer as I notice them. Here's a rundown on my problems:

Sound Card

When I turn the computer on, there's no sound. This happened after I updated Windows a couple of months ago. I found a Windows Troubleshooter that fixes the problem temporarily, until I turn the computer off. The troubleshooter is the hardware and devices troubleshooter under step 2 on this site: Troubleshooter When I run it, it says "hardware changes might not have been detected." It seems to me that my computer doesn't recognize the sound card somehow until after I run that troubleshooter.

Out of date computer

Although I try to keep things up to date, you indicated before that I needed to update a lot of things. I confess to being lost as to how to address this issue, so I could sure use your help with that.

Here is the PCPitstoptest: PCPitstop test

I eagerly await your directions!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this.

Sort out the above please so as to improve your systems overall performance, we can then look at the sound issue.

Katamaz

Katamaz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Some times the easiest way helps. just try to remove your audio driver and restart your machine. it helped me few times. you can remove that driver on device manager. Maybe that will help to you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Katamaz
1. Welcome to GeekstoGo

2. I have replied to your more serious problem on this link to your topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

3. Thank you for your suggestion on THIS thread, however that aspect has been covered earlier in the topic.

Katamaz

Katamaz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ohh sorry, missed it. i just wanted to be useful. Sorry any way.

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi. It's me again. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this. I had a family emergency. Anyway, I've been working diligently on your suggestions. I got rid of several "craplets" identified by PCPitstop (some I didn't think were quite as crappy as they thought, and kept them). I uninstalled a few programs that I don't use (Google Chrome, Google Desktop, XPlay 3, Yontoo, IE screenshot). I uninstalled and reinstalled Java nd Adobe Flash. Using msconfig I disabled several things from the startup process that I thought I didn't need.

Here is the test I just ran on my computer: PC Pitstop

I did fix the HTTP 1.1 thing. And I will defrag once I post this (it takes FOREVER). I am working on figuring out how my backup drive works (it's a WD Passport). Once I figure that out, I can probably move my home pictures and videos to the backup drive and free up memory on the computer. I have zero idea how to update drivers or improve my memory performance (I don't want to buy more memory since the computer is fairly old).

In the meantime, I still have the sound issue. What should I do next?

Thanks for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Please check your Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs and your speaker icon on the bottom right of your task bar, let us know what you find.
Do you have a media player such as WMP installed http://windows.micro...ws-media-player for Vista you will need revision 11 as 12 is only compatible with Windows 7.

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, I found Device Manager, and I see a tree with plus and minuses. I expanded everything, and I turned on the "action pane", but I see no symbols of any kind (no Xs, !s, or anything else). When I cursor over the speaker icon, it reads "Volume: 100; Speakers; Conexant High Definition SmartAudio HD2". I do use Windows Media Player, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to figure out which version it is. Although the sound issue is not limited to WMP. I get no sound from anything.

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Please check that your audio is enabled in the BIOS, to access the BIOS try tapping F2 on next boot, if not F2 try F12.
If the audio is enabled but still no sound update your chipset drivers and for the best results use the Intel download centre http://downloadcente...t.aspx?lang=eng