Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound issue Dell optiplex gx745

• Please log in to reply

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi,

I am having a strange issue with my dell optiplex GX745. I recently had to remove some bag bugs and now it seems that I have a sound issue. I can only hear windows sounds through the internal speaker now. Meaning if you boot up you can hear the welcome sounds and such but no audio will come through when playing a movie, or streaming audio etc. Any windows operation such as error messages pop ups etc still can be heard just not any other kid of audio. Any ideas? I reinstalled the drivers but that did not help. I also checked all of the settings and they seem in order. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I can only hear windows sounds through the internal speaker now. Meaning if you boot up you can hear the welcome sounds and such but no audio will come through when playing a movie,

What player are you using to watch movies?

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
HI and thanks for the reply. Any player has the same effect. Any sound other than a windows generated script sound wont play. This includes any streaming audio, Windows media player, quick time and any wav based files. I am pretty well versed on the PC so I am really baffled as to what could be the problem. Let me know if you need any logs and such and I can provide them. Thanks again for your time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Respectfully I will ask again. What player or players have you tried?
Have you updated codecs?
Are these movies store bought or downloaded.

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
On a side note. This is one of the PC's that we have at the office. We have a small company with 4 computers. This PC has also been dealing with a bad bug labeled cryptic.cww. I have removed it previously with combofix as suggested in the forums. Any ideas on why the bug keeps coming back? We are a christian ministry and have a program called hedge blockers which keeps us from going to malicious sites so I dont think its coming int hat way. Any chance it is imbedded somewhere in the registry and is not being cleaned? Agian thanks for your help.

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have tried windows media player, quicktime and several streaming audio sites. I have not tried to update any codecs. The movies are mpg or avi formats and are stored on the hard drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first off please try VLC.
Download free VLC Player

http://www.videolan.org/

Second off the infection is still resident somewhere and if you have no IT dept since this appears to be a small workplace you can try the following.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I humbly apologize. IT appears that it has to be an Iinternet Explorer issue as now I can make the players work but any streaming audio through IE wont provide sound. I am thinking it is tied to the virus I mentioned above. Sorry for the mis information. Thanks again.

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you. I will follow your reccomendations and get back to you if needed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IT is a internal tech support for companies. I suspect that is not the case since you are a small company and a religious foundation. I suspect the infection is not being completely eradicated with your efforts and that is why I am suggesting running the steps and posting in the Malware forum. There one of our experts can go through the entire system and hopefully the network to check where the infection may be hiding. :thumbsup:

Please try VLC to see if it will play the movies with sound. It comes with all codecs already installed.