Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Satellite L355 lights and fan start, then quit

• Please log in to reply

masonjar28

masonjar28

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a toshiba satellite L355 S7835, no mods, and it will not power up. The power light comes on when I plug it in. When I press the power button, the CPU light and the fan kick on for about 2 seconds, then it turns off. I have removed both memory slots, switched their locations, tried each one separately, and nothing. I even removed the heat sink and replaced the thermal compound on my CPU and GPU? Still, nothing. I would try replacing the CMOS battery, but it is soldered on and I don't want to spend $25 on a new one if my motherboard is fried. Also, not sure if this could be related, but I am having to replace the a/c jack because the plastic around it broke and won't hold it in place. But I really don't think that's the problem since I currently have the jack out of my case and have it plugged in securely.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hi masonjar28 and :welcome:
There is a possibility that the bad power jack is or has shorted the system out and repairing it is vital http://www.insidemyl...5-l355-laptops/
Have you tried with the battery only and the battery removed and only the AC adapter connected?

masonjar28

masonjar28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I just got my power-jack in today, installed it, and still no life.
I have tried to boot up with battery only, ac only, and with both, but none have worked.
What is my next step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
When you say still no life is the laptop still behaving as you described in your OP?

The power light comes on when I plug it in. When I press the power button, the CPU light and the fan kick on for about 2 seconds

If so can you remove the Ram and power up, are there any changes?

masonjar28

masonjar28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I am still having the original symptoms on the laptop. After I remove the ram, I still do not see a difference.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Yes, I am still having the original symptoms on the laptop. After I remove the ram, I still do not see a difference.

Sorry if this appears repetitive but did you try it the same as before as in battery only then AC adapter only.