Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help on Upgrading / Merging Installs

• Please log in to reply

Elecjester

Elecjester

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I am currently having a pretty terrible day.

Malware has ravaged my current windows install so bad that it's almost unusable. There seems to be no way to fix it (that I am able to comprehend), I don't have a recovery option on the boot, nor can I upgrade install from inside windows (says I am missing a file?)

I can and have, done a fresh install of windows with the same disc - works just fine - the only problem being, my files are all on the bad windows install (both installs are on the same partition (only 1))

My question is this:

Is there some way to merge the two installs into 1 good install? like bring my file structure over from the bad install to the good one? or using files from the good to repair the bad?

I currently use win xp pro 64, and while I might have access to a windows 7 64 disc, I don't think I can upgrade from xp to 7 - however, does anyone know if it is possible to go from:

xp x64 > vista x64 > 7 x64? - and keep everything intact? - if so I will be more than happy to try and borrow a copy of vista to bridge the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You should be able to copy (drag and drop) files from the old install to the new one but how can you be sure you are not propagating the malware?

Did you do a parallel install to the same drive or did you partition the drive and install to a different drive letter? Post a screen capture of a full screen Disk Management window please.

Click on Start then Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
Make it full screen then press the Print Screen key.
Start MSPaint (Start then Run, type mspaint and press Enter).
Press Ctrl+v to paste the picture in to MS Paint.
Click File then Save as and save it to your Desktop.

Start a new reply.
Click on the Browse button below the message input area.
Navigate to where you saved the picture, select it and click on Open.
Click on Attach This File.
Once uploaded, click on Add To Post to the far right of the uploaded file.
Scroll down and click Preview Post to verify the image shows.