Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to Prune My massive USN and free up some space

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i don't know how this happened because the usn journal on a system drive is supposed to be limited to around 500 meg. somehow the USN on my computer ballooned to 9 gig without me realising. the thing i don't understand is that file replication and indexing are to the best of my knowledge turned off so why is this even on my computer :/ and additionally if the services that access the usn are turned off why cant my defragmenting utility fix the little [bleep] even when running in pre boot defragmentation mode

Edited by mikeloeven, 09 December 2011 - 11:21 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Just read this thread, very interesting: $UsnJrnl (NTFS Change journal) huge and won't defrag on Domain Controller

May be of use??

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
so basically you can safley delete it using fsutil unless your running a domain controller using FRS

the thing is if i delete it it will just get big again i was more looking for a way to crop the file and limit it;s size. it is supposed to be self pruning but i dont see it at least i dont see a justification for a size of 9 gig

Edited by mikeloeven, 10 December 2011 - 08:51 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The size is ridiculous for sure. I could not find anything on a way to limit it's growth or prune it. The only fix I saw was to delete it and let it rebuild as needed. Monitor and repeat.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
when you rebuild it you get an option to set a max size. though i think that the metadata for sata partitions has reserved disk space. when i deleted the file i noticed no increase in my computers free space so i am guessing wherever it was stored is some sort of hidden freespace for system use only

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
HERE IS A GREAT PROGRAM TO FREE UP SPACE ON YOUR COMPUTER.
http://w3.win.tue.nl...on/sequoiaview/
ALTHOUGH I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT USN THIS PROGRAM CAN HELP YOU FREE UP SOME SPACE FOR SURE.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
It won't see the journal space, neither does Treesize. None of the normal programs see it. You a program specially designed to access the journal using methods other than the standard ioctl calls. It is well hidden and protected file. JkDefrag and FSUtil can see it and manipulate it according to the info at the link I posted earlier.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i got the disk space back by running a check disk after deleting it and i set the max size to a lower number