Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E-Mail - sudden problem

• Please log in to reply

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I use 'incredimail' (fully purchased) now suddenly I can't receive - though I can send okay -
I get this error message:- Socket Error: 10061, Port: 110, Protocol: POP.No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Would be very grateful if any of youse guys could help,

Ricky

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
In reading about this, it appears to be caused by security programs. See if this helps: http://forums.techar...ail/1130650.htm

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

In reading about this, it appears to be caused by security programs. See if this helps: http://forums.techar...ail/1130650.htm

Thank you, so very much. It appears that it was a security issue, and my ISP has now resolved the situation.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

and my ISP has now resolved the situation.

And do you know what they did? This information may be helpful for future readers with similar problems.

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
They don't give much away LOL it was 'Bigpond' they had some security issues and closed several points of access until the issue was resolved, and e-mail was one of them!
Sorry I have no other info

Ricky

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

They don't give much away LOL it was 'Bigpond' they had some security issues and closed several points of access until the issue was resolved, and e-mail was one of them!
Sorry I have no other info

Ricky

So they did something on their end, right? As opposed to logging into your system remotely to fix your computer?

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Yes it was done at their end, there were many thousands of clients affected, they kept a non informative update on their home page LOL

Ricky

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

they kept a non informative update on their home page

Figures. Though that is common with security incidences - they don't want the badguys to know they were effective, but when dealing with customers, they should try not to keep us in the dark.

Anyway, I am glad it is sorted out and thanks for the followup.