Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop "load needed DLLS for kernel"

• Please log in to reply

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Thanks.

My computer is HP Laptop Compaq nc6220
I never got a Blue Screen of death

I turn on my computer and no boot to Window XP Pro , beleow is the message.

(In DOS type Black\White screen)
Windows could not start becasue of an error in the software.
Please report this problem:
load needed DLLs for Kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

The CD is an Original XP disk : Reinstallation CD XP Pro service Pack 3 from DELL(from my PC Computer)

I attemped a XP Repair but the repair stops at C Prompt.
- XP Disk in drive, power on, then I boot to the BLUE REPAIR Screen, I select R and files begin to load.
- I'm asked to select the version of Windows to REPAIR which is 1(only have one copy of Windows)

1: C:\WINDOWS

Ask for PASSWORD ? I press ENTER

Back to C:\WINDOWS>

I'm stuck at C Prompt

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. The DELL CD would NEVER have successfully carried OUT a repair installation of the Windows on your HP laptop.

2. One more question so I have it clear in my mind please.

(In DOS type Black\White screen)
Windows could not start becasue of an error in the software.
Please report this problem:
load needed DLLs for Kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

Was that the original message on the HP laptop before you started this attempt to repair.

AND also please answer this

3. Had you previously had problems, insofar as, when you started the computer, did it sometimes go immediately to a chkdsk after the first screen
SAYING
One or more of your discs needs to be checked etc.
Chkdsk will start in ? seconds etc.

This is known as the autocheck - chkdsk and occurs when what is known as the dirty -bit is set, while you are in Windows.
Therefore when you reboot it goes to the screen I have described.

Please TRY and tell me ANY problems you had before the start of this thread.

Thanks.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
1. ok
2. yes, the orginal and ONLY Message I've seen. Nothing abt CHCK, nothing else besides the orginal messg.
3. No other messages ever, before or after the orginal message.
- Only problem before this happened was my Lodge's Internet(traveling on business) kept losing signal with my HP Laptop(they may have been heavily limiting my Internet usage ?).
I was also plugging in my IPOd to charge only. As I would connect my IPOD by UBS Panda Software Vaccinste would tell me my IPOD could
not be vaccinated and I wuld close out "OK"... all I can rember beside this systm is slow always.

As I've waited for a response I've ran CHKDSK /p & /r and the check stops at 25% completed. Says the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

Another error code running C Prompt commands . May be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg.

Edited by everythingsm, 13 December 2011 - 06:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK thanks.
The way I work is that I will not sign off without telling you I am going.

Please do the same for ME and then neither of us is waiting for a reply that is not arriving on this session.

I am in the UK it is now 0051hrs I will be signing off in about ONE HOUR.

I consider any attempt to repair that file system is doomed to failure.

However see this please.
http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c02045450

If it does not stay on that link - insert your model - ie Compaq NC6220 and go to the section on maintenance and hardware.

I have HOWEVER copied and pasted some of it here for you
Click here to view the Hard disk drive removal video (right-click on the link to open in a new window/tab). Hard disk drive removal
  • Review the safety considerations before performing the steps listed below by clicking on the following link: Click here to view the precautions CAUTION: Failure to comply with the precautions could result in damage to your product or loss of data.
  • Remove the battery. Click here for instructions on how to remove the battery .
  • Loosen the two captive P0 Phillips-head screws that secure the hard disk drive cover to the bottom of the notebook.
  • Use your finger or a flat-bladed tool to lift the inside edge of the hard disk drive cover and remove it.
  • Loosen the captive spring-loaded P1 Phillips-head screw that secures the hard disk drive.
  • Grasp the Mylar tab and pull the hard disk drive toward the outside edge of the base enclosure to disconnect the hard disk drive from the system board connector.
  • Lift the hard disk drive out of the bay and remove.
  • If present, remove the hard disk drive PIN extender. Click here to remove hard disk drive PIN extender .
    NOTE: This procedure not shown in video
NOW that is the easiest WAY if it is possible to succeed with retrieving your DATA.
You then BUY/BORROW a 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure or docking station - a docking station is basically the drive connector with a USB to the computer and your drive sits in the station - without the enclosure.

YOU need to check if the drive is IDE or SATA as that will determine which enclosure or docking station you need.
YOU CAN BUY ones that cater for both and for 2.5, 3.5 and indeed 5.25, but they are costly and ALL you need is a way of connecting that drive to your other computer.

ALL being well your computer will see the drive and you can access your data, just as you would on any other drive on the computer.
You can then save it to the drive on the computer or to a DVD .
DO NOT attempt to save other than your personal data as any try to save programs will NOT work.

The other way is to download a program called PUPPY and make a CD and see if it will boot the HP and then access the drive and recover your data to a USB, then transfer it to the other computer.

Which way do you want to go please.

NOTE Blue links are LIVE

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Puppy all the way ! there's not allot of data I need. I have decent back ups. If I can retrieve I want to give it a shot.

Is the drive bad ?

Edited by everythingsm, 13 December 2011 - 07:24 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PLEASE HAVE A QUICK LOOK AT THIS, post any questions that spring to mine - I will answer before I sign off - I am going as soon as you reply OR in 15 minutes. BACK at 1900hrs UK time.

Puppy all the way If I can retrieve I want to give it a shot.

BOTH METHODS are to retrieve your DATA - that is the Object of both at this stage.

You will very likely - have to replace the drive in any case.

However here is PUPPY
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/
Follow carefully the advice in the link please.
YOU ARE not installing this, it runs in ram.

It is to some extent a useful way of testing your hardware - ram, motherboard and graphics chip etc and the hard drive -, albeit we already suspect that is failing.

The puppy CD when you have made it SHOULD boot the computer, just as you did with the other XP CD.

EVERYTHING you need is on that link.
Pay attention to the following please.

1, It is an ISO image
Use the ISO burning program included in the link, not your usual burning software.

2. You will need a flashpen to recover the data to.

3. Follow carefully please the instructions for mounting your drive.
That is to enable you to access it.

Good luck

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Thanks for the info. I want to digest this info fresh... out.

Have a great night.

Edited by everythingsm, 13 December 2011 - 07:40 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Goodnight

If you post anything I will answer you first as soon as I come online about 1900 hrs.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
H Mac,

I completed the transfer of data. I could not retrieve all of my files and had to stop some of the Copy/Paste (by pressing cancel,showed errors). I'm assuming my laptop Drive is bad as we guessed. It was really easy. Thanks for you help. Respond if you think my laptop drive is bad based on the erros I recvd on transferring data.

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which did you use, I know you were intent on Puppy, is that what you did
The reason I ask is that if the drive is OUT my recommend will be different

Presuming that you used Puppy and going back to your Post 12
Please do this, but on this run allow it to complete AS far as it will go.
and of course please obtain details of the report.

Step 2: Test the hard drive Use the steps below to test the hard drive in a Notebook PC using the HP Hard Drive Self Test.

• Plug the AC Adapter into the Notebook.
  • Press and hold the Power button for 5 Seconds to turn off the Notebook.
  • Press and hold the F10 key while you press the Power button to turn on the Notebook. Release the F10 key after text is displayed on the screen of the Notebook.
  • After the BIOS Setup Utility is displayed, use the Right Arrow key to select the Tools menu.
  • Select Hard Drive Self Test.
  • Press the Enter key to start the test.
The Hard Drive Self Test will provide an Estimated test time. A Quick test, a Comprehensive test, and a SMART test will execute when the Enter key is pressed.

If all of the tests pass, the hard drive is not damaged.

NOTE: Many PC problems are related to soft failures on the hard drive. The comprehensive portion of the HP Hard Drive Self Test will repair soft errors on the hard drive, but it will not report the errors. After the test is complete, be sure to restart the Notebook to see if test repaired the problem you may be experiencing with your Notebook.

If all the tests pass, press the power button to restart the Notebook. If the error still occurs proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: Reinstall the Windows operating system on the hard drive.

I have emboldened and underlined in the details WHY you should run the tests to completion

Advertisements

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hi Mac,

Thanks i will try the new info. No worries i really got what I needed.. didn't need allot. I will complete what ya told me tomorrow and see what happens. If nothing good then the computer is going back to my company and thier IT guy can repair or repalce the hard drive. i will be replying tomorrow.

I'm OUT

Have a Great Night !

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Mac ,

Went ahead and did the test.

Test 1 (Quick)
Error: Read Failure... 10 seconds into the test

Guess that sums it up ?

Out for the day.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you mean that it will NOT now continue.
If it will let it run as it implies that all tests will run if possible. A read error - may only indicate that the data on that portion being checked could NOT be read.
NOT that the test will NOT continue.

HOWEVER referring to this

f nothing good then the computer is going back to my company and their IT guy can repair or replace the hard drive.

My next recommended procedure, depending on the results of that test, MAY well mean that whatever is ON the drive will to all intents and purpose NO LONGER be recoverable.
The reasoning behind that is, on the evidence available, the only practical solution, is a reinstall from the recovery partition, if there is ONE, using F11, on boot.

HP computers were supplied with so many variations of recovery depending on the model, if it had an optical drive, if it was supplied with a reinstallation CD, if the owner made a recovery CD, if there was a recovery partition installed - which is NOT always the case, that it is well nigh impossible to ascertain without the original documentation.

In some cases the manual which can be downloaded, did not deal with this exact point as the manual is sometimes for various Operating systems.

However F11 key, immediately indicates the situation.

In the light of the IT and company mention - although I would be willing to continue, on your assurance, that you understand the implications, it seems to me that the best advice - is to deal with any further issue through the company and the IT dept.

THAT is NOT in any sense meant to sound dismissive. I simply believe it is the best advice.

There is in a problem of this nature a number of questions

1. Is the drive good from the aspect of the disc and we are looking at a question of data corruption

2. OR is the disc failing - ie BAD SECTORS

3. OR indeed is the read/write head failing, as it moves across the platters we are talking 1000`s of an inch.
The almost immeasurable degree of error caused by wear, means it is useful only as a doorstop.

4. OR indeed are we looking at other hardware issues.

If you have access to a qualified IT in THIS FIELD- who can test these issues with the computer in front of him, that will always be better than working through the medium of the internet.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS

Good luck whichever way you choose to proceed.
and I know my colleague Essexboy would endorse that

NB for interest only - a read write head image.
Posted Image
Image available for free use. - but included with acknowledgement to Wilkimedia Foundation

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Mac,

Thanks for your help. I tried F11 with and without Boot CD I have an nothing but same problem. i'm sending back to IT person with more Experience. I can usually get computers up and running but this is the only one i've failed at... may be wrong but I'm thinking failed drive. IT can confirm or fix computer at this point.

Thanks Again, OUT

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck with it.