Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search engine/address bar not working, then cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

twobyfour

twobyfour

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Been having problems with office PC. Its a Dell running XP. I would enter something in a search engine such as Yahho, and it would say cannot display page. Tried in IE and Firefox, same reults. Although, it would display pages from my Yahoo favorites. Then it stopped doing that. Then, it stopped displaying everything, with the cannot connect to the internet message. I tried to reset the connections, didn't help. It is connected both wirelessly and with the ethernet cord. Both say they are connected and working properly. I am typing this on a laptop in the same office via wirless thru same modem. I cannot connect with the other computer any way, even in safe mode. So I can't run any Malware removal or Virus removal programs. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.Thnks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi twobyfour

It is connected both wirelessly and with the ethernet cord.

Do not have them both connected at the same time, have one or the other connected only to avoid conflicts.
Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X against the network adapters?
If this is an office PC do you not have an IT Tech available to sort the issue.

twobyfour

twobyfour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No, this is a home office. There are no red or yellow checks on device manager. Thnks for responding

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Ok then can you tell us what model the Dell is please so we can locate your drivers.
Did you try only having the one connection? If not can you disable the wireless adapter in Device Manager to see if the ethernet works.

twobyfour

twobyfour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It is a Dell Inspiron 530, running MS XP Professional Version 2002 Service pack 3. I just disabled the wireless adapter, how do I check to see if the ehternet is working?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Drivers available @ http://search.dell.c...vsrch=False&p=1
The correct procedure for installing Dell drivers @ http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

I just disabled the wireless adapter

Did you remove the drivers? If not please do so before trying to set up the ethernet.

how do I check to see if the ehternet is working?

Hook up to the ethernet and try getting online using IE, you have installed the drivers for the ethernet havn`t you.

twobyfour

twobyfour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't follow you. Am I suppose to unistall drivers? If so, which ones and how do I do it? Also, am I suppose to download new ones? If so, how would I do that if I can't get online? I am very limited in my computer IQ. Is there anyway to chat on this this thing or would you be willing to do that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi twobyfour
Assistance is only offered on the forums, this helps to maintain the high standards GTG has, protect users and above all it ensures that we all learn and share knowledge.
We can do this step by step and only at a pace that you are comfortable with :thumbsup:

Am I suppose to unistall drivers?

Go to Start, Control Panel, Device Manager and then Network Adapters, Right click on the device/s and then select uninstall, while you are in Device Manager Right click on Modem/s, Properties and if it is disabled enable the modem.
Ethernet tends to be less difficult to set up as you merely plug a telephone line into the computer, any questions just let us know.

twobyfour

twobyfour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK. I unistalled the devices in network adapters. There is no "modem" in device manager. I have had an ethernet cord plugged in. Should I unplu it and plug it back in? Or, whats next? thnks for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

There is no "modem" in device manager. I have had an ethernet cord plugged in

What about an ethernet card?

Should I unplu it and plug it back in?

No, can you let me know about the ethernet card please before we move on.

Advertisements

twobyfour

twobyfour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I click on device manager, this is what it list. Computer, disk drives, display adapters, dvd/cd rom drives, floppy disk controllers, human interface devices, ide ata/atapi controllers, keyboards, mice and other pointing devices, monitors, processors, sound video game controllers, system devices, universal serial bus controllers. I have expanded them all, and there is nothing about an ethernet card. Also, now there is no network adapter either. This computer has an ethernet cord plugges into a Westel Modem. We have Verizon DSL.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

This computer has an ethernet cord plugges into a Westel Modem.

I am not familiar with the above, is it an external modem!
Can you now reboot the computer and see if there is any new hardware found and post back, I am hoping that Windows will have suitable drivers!

twobyfour

twobyfour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK. Restart computer, lower right hand corner box pops up says " found new hardware, ethernet controller" then same box popped up says "found new hardware, Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter. Now, I have a small window titled "found new hardware wizard". it is asking me what I want the eizard to do, install software automatically or install from a list or location?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
What I am hoping we can achieve is get you at least ethernet connection so you can download the Specific Realtek drivers from http://www.dell.com/...riverId=R200040 when you are ready, please install only the ethernet controller for now and let it install the software automatically, do this and then post back please.

twobyfour

twobyfour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok. clicked on install, message came up did not install properly. Went to device manager, now have network adapter in drop down box, expand that and now have "ethernet controller" and "Intel® 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection". The "ehternet controller" box has a yellow box on it and when I open it it says "device not configured properly. Says to "reinstall drivers, click" so I do this and a message pops up and warns me to stop installation because 'has not passed windows logo testing". When I open the Intel® box, it says device is working properly. This is really over my head. Not sure if we can fix this as I'm getting very frustated.