Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP repair stuck in set up

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Do you have any way of taking a picture of the screen so you could upload it for us.
Are the icons named, have you tried opening any of them?
When you get your thumb drive click on an item - keep it highlighted - move the cursor to the open USB drive and let go of the mouse button ( drag and drop )

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Here's a pic. I've tried to open a few of them and I get this msg.: 'No run actions specified for files of this type"

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Update! I guess I had the wrong driver. I opened driver sda2 and there are my documents. Let me get a flash drive and try and transfer them.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sorry but I cannot see a lot of the icons, once you get your thumb drive and transfer your files open them on your other computer.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Ok looks like I've got all my files transfered. So what's the next step? It's probably late London ime so I'll check in later. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Glad to hear you recovered your data ok :thumbsup:

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba then unfortunately you're out of luck because Toshiba do not provide a diagnostic tool so try the Hitachi or Seatools.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
ok, I downloaded the test for my hard drive but couldn't get it to boot so I signed in on the 2nd OS and ran a quick and an extended test and they both passed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

ok, I downloaded the test for my hard drive but couldn't get it to boot so I signed in on the 2nd OS and ran a quick and an extended test and they both passed.

Unless you have a dual boot system you will only have the one OS, you may however have two partitions on your HDD C: and D: for example, one with the OS on it and one with a recovery partition on it.
Is this by any chance what you have?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I think so. When I first started having problems someone suggested that I download a second OS. Now when I first power on it show 3 options: Windows XP is listed twice(the first one is the last one I downloaded which allows me to sign on)(the second one is the original XP which is stuck in setup)(the third option is listed as 'Recovery Consule'. As far as 2 partitions is that why Linux Puppy showed 2 hard drives?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

(the first one is the last one I downloaded which allows me to sign on

Does this allow you to use the computer correctly.

As far as 2 partitions is that why Linux Puppy showed 2 hard drives?

Partitions are identified by different drive letters even though they are physically on the same HDD.

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yes, to some degree. I think I still need to download some drivers; the print is small, the dvd door won't open, etc. plus it definitely needs a tuneup, it's very slow.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Forgot to ask. Since I didn't boot with the cd, could I have tested the wrong partition?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The HDD test is a physical test of the HDD itself so if it was bad it would have been reported.

Can you access the internet.

Lets have a look at the HDDs status;

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
ok I think I got it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the screenshot.
What about the computer accessing the internet at the moment so you can update your drivers.
Can you now access the C: Partition.