Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP repair stuck in set up

• Please log in to reply

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
What do you mean 'access the C:partition' how? As far as the drivers I have installed I got them off of the original cd's that came with my pc. I don't think I have them all installed and would like to make sure I got that right.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

What do you mean 'access the C:partition' how?

Right click on it and then choose Open or Explore.

Where the drivers are concerned I have asked in the previous two replies whether the computer can connect to the internet or not, if it can you can scan your computer with DriverMax http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ you can only download two drivers a day for free though.

Tidying up the HDD can be done also to speed up your computer.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm sorry, yes I can access the internet when I sign in under the new OS. I did open the C partition, anything I should look for? I will check the site you gave me and check my drivers. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Good news on the internet availability as it will help you move along quicker :thumbsup:
Don`t worry about the Partition at the moment - let us know what if any driver updates are recommended so that they can be prioritized, we can then move on with tidying the HDD and updating a further two drivers tomorrow if it is required.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I dont know what to do. I went to the driver website, registered and tried to download the driver manager. It's been 3 attempts and it just locks up. I've waited 30 minutes without a response.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
update. I logged on in safe mode with networking. As soon as I tried to type in 'drivermax' in the address bar I got a pop up that said 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down' That's happened 3 times and I don't know what else to try.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Can you connect to any other sites such as google etc.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
yes I'm on google right now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
:thumbsup:

A fair bit of work for you to do now and it will take you some time to complete it all, please do in the following order;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Then tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ do this at least once a week in the future, a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service here.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Looks like I've got more problems than I thought. First of all, after waiting 40 minutes the Driver Manager from drivermax did down load but when I try and open it a window pops up with a long message that says C:\DocumentsandSettings\Owner.ABD-RDOMG7GEZ51\Desktop\DriverManager.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Secondly, I tried to download the 'overdrive' program from pcpitstop and it would not do it. This brought back memories from a couple of years ago when I was here with another problem and tried repeatedly to down load it and could not. I've double checked the security settings and everything's ok but it won't happen. Anything else we can try?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not press enter)
2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.
You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache, if so you are done post back with an update.

What web browser and anti virus programs are you using please.

Burn your drivers to disk on another computer http://www.dell.com/...rivers/us/en/04 and remember to install them in the correct order and to save them on the partition that you are booting from http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Pressing the windows key opens the start menu. Where do I type cmd, in run?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Sorry about the delay - Ive been busy elsewhere.

Where do I type cmd, in run?

Correct.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
No problem. Update: I emptied the resolver cache but I'm having all kinds of problems getting on the internet, staying on and accessing websites. It takes forever and most of the time it locks up and I get the message that internet explorer encountered a problem and has to shut down. I tried for an hour to get on your website and couldn't do it. So I haven't been able to do a check or update on my drivers. It's not my service, my other computer works fine. And it doesn't matter if both are on at the same time or not. By the way my anti virus program is the free Avast version and IE is version 6. At this point I may just throw this one away. I can't use it.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Since I was able to save my files any idea on getting rid of the 3 options I have when I first power on? Can I get rid of the old OS(BTW is it using any memory since it's still there?) and the Recovery mode option? Thanks