Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP repair stuck in set up

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Since I was able to save my files any idea on getting rid of the 3 options I have when I first power on? Can I get rid of the old OS(BTW is it using any memory since it's still there?) and the Recovery mode option? Thanks

Please provide us with a link to the OS disk that you have downloaded and are presently using, if you had a full installation disk I wouldn`t hesitate now to suggest a full format and fresh install of Xp but only with a full disk available, this is based on the fact that you are unable to use either of the other two partitions.

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I've got the original OS disc that came with the computer. How do I provide a link? Do I download it on my good cp or the problem cp and then what do I do?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
phillpower2

When I first started having problems someone suggested that I download a second OS. Now when I first power on it show 3 options: Windows XP is listed twice(the first one is the last one I downloaded which allows me to sign on)(the second one is the original XP which is stuck in setup)(the third option is listed as 'Recovery Consule'.

Any chance it was a parallel installation - C:\>Windows
and C:\>Windows1
for example.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
not sure what that means

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for pitching in Macboatmaster :thumbsup:
Please see the reference to downloading an OS in post #39 and the requested screenshot in post #44 appreciate your thoughts.

not sure what that means

moe jr
See http://www.windowsxp...dexfullpage.htm

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I think the M$ question is - from where did you - moe jr download this other operating system OR by download do you actually mean INSTALL from a CD.

An examination of the boot.ini in msconfig - may assist

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
To tell you the truth, I'm not 100% sure but I think I downloaded from the disc that came with it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, run and type
msconfig

Click the boot.ini tab at the top of the window
What please does it say in the top white box
that is the area below the boot.ini tab and above the check all boot paths button below.

Please do NOT click on any other items or make any changes.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
(OPERATING SYSTEMS)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect/noexecute=
C:\cmdcons\BOOTSELF.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/cmdcons

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What is the entry above operating systems - use the arrows to the right of the window from where you copied this
It will be something like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

When you boot into what I think is now the working windows which is the installation you made after the original error - which is the first line after Operating systems on your last post - ie: 0

can you still use any programs that were installed such as Office etc. and in Documents and settings for users can you see your original documents, images etc.

As you attempted to repair the original windows installation and ended with the error report, it maybe easier, to continue with the new Windows and eventually when we are certain, that all is safe and correct, delete the old installation.

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\0

When I boot on the current system(the last one I downloaded) I get this: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect

As far as using any previous programs I don't see any on the All Programs list. When I go to my documents there's nothing of my old documents and pictures in that file but below it on the drop down menu are a handful, maybe 8 or 10 pics and documents that I guess it pulled from another file?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That is, as I thought, that you or someone has installed windows and named the Windows folder 0.
So when you go My Computer and open C drive by double clicking on it, you see some folders
One will be named Windows
Another will be named Documents and settings
A further one will be programs
and my guess is that another will be simply 0

Go start
My Computer and then double click C drive and then send me a screenshot
To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately, so that you do not miss it.
I am signing off it is 0223 here in UK

Either my colleague phillpower2 or myself when I come back at 1800 will continue to help you.

How many programs did you have installed, for which you do NOT have the installation media and were not of course free programs, as it maybe that all except those are lost.

Fortunately you do have the personal data you recovered on Puppy and this can be copied back to the new windows.

It is too late now, but it may have been possible to recover from the original error, before the failed repair install.

It MAY, but it is a rather large MAY still be possible.

For a first attempt boot into the new Windows and go start, run and then type
cmd
when that window opens
type
cd \
that should take you to a C:\> prompt
type
chkdsk /r

It is a five stage check, agree the message to run on restart and do so.
When it has completed reboot and try then booting into the old windows installation.

If it works I will be amazed but it is worth trying as a first possible solution

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
First of all, thanks for you interest and help. I really appreciate it. I tried the 5 step check and reboot but it didn't work with the old OS. It would start up give me the fatal error msg. and shut down, As far as other programs I haven't downloaded any. I've attached the screen shot you wanted. It was kind of big so I took 2 shots.

Edited by moe jr, 29 March 2012 - 11:05 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your screenshots do indeed show, as I suspected that you have two WIndows installations on that computer. Both are on the same drive and on the same partition.

One is the original Windows and that is the folder - the yellow coloured icon named Windows
The other is also the yellow coloured icon and is named 0 (That is the numeral 0)
That is on your second screenshot.
Also when that was installed the Recovery Console was installed as a boot option. That is the folder cmdcons

In an earlier post and mentioned by my colleague phillpower2 you posted

I think so. When I first started having problems someone suggested that I download a second OS. Now when I first power on it show 3 options: Windows XP is listed twice(the first one is the last one I downloaded which allows me to sign on)(the second one is the original XP which is stuck in setup

It is more or less certain that this is what has occurred.
Now to the crux of the matter.

There is no LEGAL and legimate download of Windows XP available. There are downloads available, on the web, but they are not a legal licensed use of the Microsoft License conditions.

This site, GeekstoGo, does NOT provide any assistance whatsoever with illegal software, or the improper use of licensed software.
This is an extract from our Terms of Use

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

Please do not think that I am suggesting that you have known of the consequences, of downloading the XP, if indeed that is what you have done, or someone else has done for you, nor indeed at this time am I ABSOLOUTELY certain this is what has occurred.

It does seem to me however that despite the time lag involved in you orginally asking for help last December and now, you must know, how this second installation of XP appeared on your computer. By that I mean, you must know if you did it, someone did it for you, it was from a website download, or it was from a CD.

If you KNOW that, XP was downloaded from a website, please do say so now., as it appears to me and I would think to my colleague phillpower2, as well, although he will I am sure post, that we must have your assurance on this point before we progress. Indeed we may well ask you to run a program that will verify the legitimacy of the Windows installation.

Finally I hope you are not annoyed and appreciate the situation.