Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't recognize new DVD burner

• Please log in to reply

HB1234

HB1234

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently purchase a Pioneer DVD burner and installed it with the slave pins in the back exactly the same as the old one, so I thought the computer would recognize it. Sometimes when I boot up, my computer recognizes it and sometimes it doesn't, I have to hit F1 from a black screen with white text and then windows boots up. I went into setup and under Drive 5:PATA-1 is the location of my DVD burner. The Drive is on and the Drive ID=unknown. The controller details are port=pata-1(pri ide slave) controller=Parallel ATA

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi HB1234
One of these may help:

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions :thumbsup:

Also if you have an alternative data cable try that if none of the above resolve the issue.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Please follow Phill's suggestions but to add a couple thoughts:

I recently purchase a Pioneer DVD burner and installed it with the slave pins in the back exactly the same as the old one

Just to be sure, understand there is no industry standard on how those pins are laid out. By that I mean (assuming this is an IDE drive) there are MA (master), SL (slave) and CS (cable select) pins, but MA may be the first pair on this drive and it may be the fourth pair on that drive. So you have to go by the labels (or drive manuals) and not by simply looking at the pins.

Can we assume you also installed this new drive on the same cable and cable connection as the old? Did you double check to ensure the cable is securely attached to the motherboard and the drive (or both drives if more than one on that cable)?

What are you setting the jumper to? If only 1 drive on the cable, it should be set to MA or CS and the drive should be on opposite end of the cable from the motherboard connection. If more than one drive on the cable, both drives must be set to CS, or one drive to MA and the other drive to SL and the drives must be connected to the appropriate connector (master on end, slave in middle offset closer to master). You cannot mix CS and MA/SL on the same cable.

Also, after installing a new drive, it is best to immediately enter the BIOS Setup Menu, ensure the drive is properly recognized, then - here's the important part - Save and Exit. Don't just Exit. Some BIOSs are a little slower at others when detecting and updating the CMOS information for new hardware (which it does if not previously saved).