Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Icons on desktop suddenly disappearing

• Please log in to reply

newguy298

newguy298

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I had this issue for some time, and actually it was part of the reason I did a fresh install of XP. Sometimes, a desktop icon (usually in the same spots) will just disappear. Or I'll log on, and icons have shifted themselves around that spot. I'll try and get it to happen again so I can find out which spots are doing this. OTL log is below.

http://pastebin.com/QPf6MTXy OTL log
http://pastebin.com/kLsWA79C Extras.txt

Edited by newguy298, 11 December 2011 - 12:02 PM.

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Try this:
Help

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Does this work for XP 32bit?

Posted Image
^This is what is happening when I log on (in multiple areas, but I cleaned up a bit.) It's always the same areas on my desktop.

I followed the installer for the fix you posted, but it didn't do anything in XP after I merged it with the registry.

I don't believe this is caused by a screen resolution change, as it's only the same spots, usually in the middle of icons, none are actually disappearing, but they are moving. It happens on logon or on boot, and neither of my monitors are switching settings so I have no idea what's causing it.

Edited by newguy298, 11 December 2011 - 12:03 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
This is not really the place for otl logs you should edit that out of your post but do you know what this program is???
C:\Program Files\IconChanger\IconChng.dll

This is where you post otl logs.
http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Edited by rockmilk, 11 December 2011 - 05:44 PM.

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes, it allows me to change the ico file on any program or file type through right click menu. The issue existed prior to downloading this.
Posted Image
It's doing it still, but every time I log in or out of my account it moves another space, seemingly randomly.

Edited by newguy298, 18 December 2011 - 09:10 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Run sfc /scannow Also right click your desktop>arrange icons and check auto arrange.Then see if it still happens.

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I fixed it, the issue was in Ultramon. There was a buggy setting to restore icon layouts, so I disabled it and now everything is back to normal.